Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Can Nema 23 go faster?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Zachary Goddard, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Zachary Goddard

Builder

Hello,

I'm relatively new to using stepper motors, and I currently have a set up using the Nema 23 and the DQ54MA driver, both from the Openbuilds part store. Currently the Nema 23 is running at only 7.5 rpm, though I've seen posts and comments that they can go much, much faster. I have the switches on the DQ54MA set for a peak current of 2.37A and 25000 pulses/rev. I tried changing the pulses/rev but it didn't seem to change anything.

On the software side I just have the arduino turning on and off the pulse pin on the DQ54MA on an interval of 10 microseconds.

For the input voltage for the driver I have a power supply giving it 24V.

Additionally the motor runs at the same speed when separated from the load, so I don't think it's a matter of too much torque. I know I could increase the speed by changing the gear ratio, but is there a way to make the motor go faster in the electronics or software before I make changes to the mechanical system?

EDIT: I seem to have spoken too soon on the DQ54MA pulses/rev setting. It seems the power needed to be restarted for the setting to actually change. The problem seems to be fixed now.

#1 Zachary Goddard, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017