Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Can I get some advice on motors and controllers for OX build?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by BismarckDon, Nov 11, 2014.

1. BismarckDon

Builder

Hello everyone,
    I have been following this site for several months. (Long enough to get bitten by the "I've got to have one of these" bugs.) My goal is to build a 1000 mm x 1000 mm copy of Mark Carew's Ox CNC router. My intentions are to cut all types of wood (plywoods, soft woods and hard woods) and plastics. I am going to be using a Dewalt DWP-600 1.25 HP 1/4" router. I'm in the early stages of purchasing materials and find myself torn between two ways of thinking about stepper motors and controllers for my machine.

Will the Nema 23 stepper motors, arduino, power supply, etc sold in the OpenBuilds parts store be sufficient for my needs, or should I go this route?
    http://www.cncrouterparts.com/4-axis-diy-nema-23-electronics-kit-p-75.html

I'll admit that I do not understand the electrical portion of the build.

Thanks for any advice on the subject.

On a side note: I've already purchased by build plates from Chris Laidlaw. The quality of his work is exceptional! I highly recommend him to anyone!

2. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Just my opinion, but I would go for the Gecko G540 (as per your link). It means spending a bit more initially but it would be well worth it in the long run.

Tweakie.

3. BismarckDon

Builder

That's my thinking as well. Given that I have no idea how to compute electrical requirements, I figured a complete matched system would be a good choice for me. I just didn't want to end up with a ridiculously over-sized system for my needs.
    Thanks for your advice!