Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Camcorder monorail project. Need some advice

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Thomas Corbett, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Thomas Corbett

Builder

:)Hi,

I bought a C Beam bundle lately for a model rail traverser project and just built it last night. Absolutely fantastic .......... I'm now hooked.
    I am now thinking of installing a mono rail type idea from which to suspend either a DSLR or a camcorder. A couple of questions though.

1. Can I join 1metre lengths of C Beam as I would like a total length of between 1500 to 1750 mm long rail.
    2. When I attach my camera to the platform, I would like to be able to rotate it as well as move back and forth.........is there something that will let me do this preferably automated / remote control / computer interface whatever.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated. Keep it simple though I'm a total flint stone when it comes to technology.:(

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

There is no direct means of joining C-Beam rails end to end but they can always be mounted end to end on another longer rail or beam which supports them. You may need to spend some time aligning the joint to make sure the wheels don't catch as the pass across it. An easy suggestion would be to purchase three 1-meter sections, using the third as a backer placed inverted and spanning across the joint with 3D printed V-slot connectors to help align the joint.

As far as pan-tilt systems go, there are plenty of commercially available systems designed for either photography or security camera applications.

3. Thomas Corbett

Builder

Hi Rick,

You have just confirmed my thoughts on it. I've had a better look at the different parts that you can get and started putting them together in my head ( lego style ):) I'm also just back off the big webby thing and have found various options with regards to remotely controlled panning heads.

Still a bit to go yet as I am looking into loading weights. IE a C Channel hanging upside down with a gantry plate fixed via normal wheel applications. Will it take the weight of a DLSR with a rather heavy lense. possibly 4 or 5 KG's.

I'm getting there. Many thanks for you response. much appreciated. If I get started with the build, I'll make sure that I post it up.

cheers
    Tom

4. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Thread moved to "Other builds".