Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Calibrating the X,Y,Z axis on the Black Box

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Lazzo, Nov 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Lazzo

Lazzo New
    Builder

Good Afternoon Mark;
    Can you please give me a bit of a heads up on setting the current in the X, Y, Y1, and Z, axis of the Black Box Controller.
    After a bit of COVID Delay, I have finally got my CNC Machine moving but the Motors seem to be quite hot while they are idling.
    Too hot I believe but they still drive in the correct directions.

While I am trying to calibrate both the X and Y axis, step 2 seems to continue on and I have to hit the emergency stop button to save damage to the machine.

I can manually move the spindle in all directions (using the continuous control option) but when I try to make it move in the Jog option of,100mm steps in any direction the unit continues to run on to possible destruction unless I activate the emergency stop button.

I have swapped the selection to the Jog and am able to make the unit do so but:
    When I try to make it jog 10mm it actually jogs 100mm; 1mm it Jogs 10mm etc. etc.in fact it looks like there is a Multiplication / Division factor of 10 involved in this manoeuvre.
    Could this be a setting in the programme or is it to do with the current settings of all of the axis?
    I am using 24 tooth cogs on my machine and I noticed that there only appears to be selection values for 10, 16, 20, and 30.
    Is there any way of changing this so that I can select the number of teeth to suit the cogs that I am using and could this be the reason for the apparent variation in the jog settings.

Thanking you all in advance

Kevin Lazarus.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Use 20 or 30 to get it nearer to the ballpark

You can then fine tune using the Calibration wizard

3. Lazzo

Lazzo New
    Builder

Thanks for that Peter I will try that setting.
    I think I said in an earlier conversation that I would probably be back in touch and it looks like I was correct.
    Do you have any suggestions as to the current setting of the Stepper motors and is there a method of actually measuring the current or is it just a bit of suck it and see mentality?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Factory default is good for 99% of users.
    No measuring needed. The adjustment scale is "humanised" - quarter turn or so. Unlike lesser drivers where you have to turn the pot half a degree at a time. Ours has been engineered to be logical. Overheating, turn down a bit. Stalling, turn up a bit

5. Lazzo

Lazzo New
    Builder

Sounds a very sensible way to approach the problem.
    Thanks very Much Peter, I will give it a go in the morning when I am a little more receptive to variations.
    I will keep you informed as to how it goes.
    Cheers
    Lazzo

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.