Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

The C-Beam XXLarge

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Dollarz81, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Dollarz81

Dollarz81 New
    Builder

Dollarz81 published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Great looking Build @Dollarz81 and thank you for the tip on the 25mm screws. I will let the Team know about this.
    Have fun :thumbsup:

3. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

What a nice work area! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Gray

4. Moag

Moag Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Have to totally agree Gray, who wouldn't give a Tee-nut for a workspace like that!;)
    Looking forward to how this build goes, looking good so far.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. silopolis

silopolis New
    Builder

Great build but I won't tell you, I'm too jalous of your shop ! ;P

6. Dollarz81

Dollarz81 New
    Builder

IMG_3290.JPG "The Shop" is getting a new work bench.

Serge E., Moag, Darathy and 2 others like this.
  7. Holy1

Holy1 New
    Builder

Nice Build. I am in the same process, just doing the wiring now. Where did you your spindle? Link?

Thanks

8. Dollarz81

Dollarz81 New
    Builder

Tomias likes this.
  9. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder

Dollarz81.
    That was quite a Bundle you got there. Did it come as quick as they said?
    It included a nice set of collets as well.
    Are you happy with it? It's always good to ask how people got on with Chinese suppliers, for future reference.
    Gray

10. Dollarz81

Dollarz81 New
    Builder

Yes I got it within 3 days. I don't know if I'm happy with it yet, time will tell. I did some research and most people seem saticfied with the spindles. There are several reviews and build videos on YouTube. It doesn't come with instructions or wires, but everything can be found online. Here is a good resource to start with.
    Chinese Spindle & VFD Setup

11. Holy1

Holy1 New
    Builder

Unfortunately, Amazon.com does not ship to Canada so I can't get it.
    Bummer, looked just like what I needed.

12. Darathy

Darathy New
    Builder

#12 Darathy, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    GrayUK likes this.
  13. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

Dollarz81 - Awesome build my friend! after you got several comments a bout your spindle, I had to back up and tak another look at your pics;

Photo edited by Larry

I'm not too sure I've ever seen this approach before. How long do you think your battery will last? :ROFL::ROFL:o_O:rolleyes::rolleyes:

On a serious note, you are going to have a super machine when you get it finished. Best wishes and if I can help with anything, give me a shout.

Larry

Dollarz81 likes this.
  14. RobertW

RobertW New
    Builder

"Started by tapping the 5mm holes. I used a tap bought at Harbor Freight and it bent while tapping the extrusion. Lesson: buy quality tools."

Lesson 2: don't buy tools from harbor freight

I've learnt my lesson buying their crap. Had a 2hp router from them drop a dovetail bit twice in one day and ruin a $300 sofa table I was making.

I like their nitrile gloves though. Cheapest around.

15. Dollarz81

Dollarz81 New
    Builder

90% of my tools are from harbor freight because it's closest and cheapest. They are good for getting the job done once, so I have to get it right the first time.

Tomias and Rick 2.0 like this.
  16. RobertW

RobertW New
    Builder

The only thing I've bought from there that's still working after 90 days is my dust collector and air compressor. Everything else has broken after a few uses.

I buy a lot of rigid tools. Their replacement plan is good enough to keep me coming back.

17. Robert Wallace

Builder

Hello,

I just received the "C-Beam Machine XLarge Mechanical Bundle" and getting ready to order the Nema 23 High Torque motors and power supply. I'm new to this and still unsure as to what controller board to get. I am looking at the TinyG which you are using on this build.

From what I've read the TinyG only goes up to 2.5 Amps and the High Torque Steppers require 3 Amps. Will the TinyG have issues driving the motors?

18. RobertW

RobertW New
    Builder

You should run those motors in a reduced amperage mode. It's my understanding that you could fry the board if you try to draw more amperage through the driver than it's rated for.

Try an external motion control board like the Ethernet Smooth-stepper or one of those Chinese Jobs with the Db25 connector.

This is the kit I bought and it works great.

ANTIQUE VICTORIAN HARDWARE CATALOG TOOL HOUSE HORSE FARM CARRIAGE LOCK KNIFE TOY | eBay

Fred Quarles likes this.
  19. Dollarz81

Dollarz81 New
    Builder

This is from the wiki

"
    TinyG v8 supports up to 2.5A per winding per motor and needs a 12v-30v motor power input. While 12 volt operation is possible and entirely fine, running with a 24v power supply will allow the motors to be more responsive and actually run cooler (ironically).

You might think that 4 motors at 2 amps per winding (about the top-end of NEMA17's) would require 4 motors X 2 windings X 2 amps = 16 amps to drive, but you'd be wrong. 4 to 4.5 amps or above will handle this as not all motors + phases are ever maxed out at the same time. We like to have at least 6 amps for NEMA17's and this is absolutely required for NEMA23s."

At no point should your motors be pulling max amps so 2.5 to drive the high torque motors is ok.

20. RobertW

RobertW New
    Builder

This information you have provided From the wiki is directed towards power supply selection.

This has nothing to do with the amount of amperage that the motors will try to draw through the drivers.

Exceeding the amperage requirements of the power supply will lead to thermal shutdown of the power supply.

Above that section under stepper motors it explains that tiny G can handle a stepper motor with a current draw up to 3a per winding with sufficient cooling.

All motors I've seen have 2 amperage ratings. One for peak amperage and one for AMPS Rms.

The Peak operating amperage would be high enough to overheat the circuitry in the drivers and fry them without sufficient overload safeguardsif run in this capacity. Usually peak amperage is drawn as the motor spins up to maximum speed.

Although not probable that this would occur, with the right variables(dust on the circuitry, increased load from heavy torque requirements, prolonged milling operations) will increase the temperature of the driver and could ultimately lead to failure.

The safer bet is to use a driver that has a rated capacity above what is necessary to drive the motors and not push them to their maximum capacity.

Also a power supply that is rated for about 80% of the motors maximum voltage requirements would help them operate more efficiently.

Here is the wiki page.

TinyG Start · synthetos/TinyG Wiki · GitHub

#20 RobertW, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Robert Wallace likes this.
  21. Dollarz81

Dollarz81 New
    Builder

I'm gonna take your advice. You sound like you know what you're talking about.

22. Serge E.

Serge E. Journeyman
    Builder

Check Amazon.ca :

Amazon.ca: MYSWEETY 110V 1.5KW Water Cooled Spindle

They have the same kits shipping to Canada. The bad news is that they inflate the price beyond just exchange rate, taxes and such. The same kit is listed at :eek: 1000$cnd plus shipping (I bet) !! o_O That is about 760$us, double the price of Amazon.com which includes shipping to US.

If you are in a border city, like me, get it delivered to a UPS store box across the border and pick it up. There are few forwarding services as well which receives for you and then reships to you (never used the later being just minutes from Detroit, MI myself). At worse (knock on wood) I had to pay GST (13%), about 10$ to use tunnel/bridge and 5$us for UPS to hold until I pick up within days (including Saturdays). Even at 35% exchange rate it would be saving you quite a few loonies (1$ coins).

Especially if a bit of a ride to get to the US from your home : make the trip an outing with the wife (and maybe the kids) and you still save while enjoying some family time visiting whatever there is to see across the border at your end of Canada ...

23. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer

As for the bolts, 6mm plate + 6mm eccentric + 12mm wheel and you still got a nut on it? they probably are 25mm, but should be 30mm to be useful IMO :) Am i missing something?

24. Dollarz81

Dollarz81 New
    Builder

Short video today resurfacing MDF spoil board.

Tomias likes this.
  25. mikework

mikework New
    Builder

I was JUST about to cut my first gantry side plates when I saw your build.

What a great use of my 4th 1000mm C-beam! I was wondering what to do with the excess.

This use deals nicely with my excess and concerns for flexing of the gantry plates.

If I may ask a couple questions?

I was also planning to use a 1.5 KW spindle (air cooled in my case). Do you see any deflection in the 2 beams supporting the combined weight of the gantry and the spindle? Or is it a non-issue?

Secondly I am curious as to why you chose to have the left gantry support beam (leg?) on the outside and the right leg on the inside?

Everything else I see here I understand.

Any insight before I cut my c-beam up would be appreciated.

26. Tomias

Tomias New
    Builder

Awesome Build. About how much did it cost to build without the spindle. Not sure if anyone else ask this question yet. Thanks

27. rlrhett

rlrhett New
    Builder

Nice! What is the Z-Axis clearance above the spoil board with the spindle fully retracted (measured without a bit)?

28. RobertW

RobertW New
    Builder

Is this filmed in time lapse?

29. T4Concepts

T4Concepts Journeyman
    Builder

Can I just ask .................... is there a reason why the X gantry is off centre like that ? The left support is on the outside and the right support column is on the inside.

TURK

30. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

I betcha that he did it that way because he gains a few centimeter of effective work travel over having it both on the inside/outside for any given length of beam.