Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C beam xl improvements

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by DanW, Jul 30, 2018.

1. DanW

DanW New
    Builder

Hi
    I started machining more aluminium and I need more rigidity. I also started to make more complicated things where I need accuracy and tight tolerances.
    I have xl version but smaller; around 320x280.
    Im going to add 2 v slots on both sides to support X axis. Replace 90 degree brackets to gain more in X.
    Ive noticed that its easy to move the Z gantry down by pulling. What can I do with it? Is it worth adding two extra wheels to
    Y and X?
    I recently replaced mdf wasteboard with 12mm aluminium. It turned to be a good idea. Unfortunately the sides are still bad, therfore Im going to add supports. Do you recommend vslots plus wheels or sbr?
    Is it better to extend X or Y?
    Will I loose much if i make it longer in Y? Im considering increasing Z by 4 or 5cm. Im not sure if im trading too much for that extra depth.

I wanted to put all the improvement ideas for cb xl in one place. I need some now and I wanted to plan upgrades for the future.

2. Rendermandan

Rendermandan Well-Known
    Builder

Hi Dan,

Can I ask, do you need to increase the size of your machines travel for a particular project?

The reason I ask is as you increase the length of any axis increase its rigidity will be reduced, which it sounds like is something you don’t want to decrease.

In other words, bigger is not always better. Yes, you can try and stiffen up by adding more wheels, and rails. Just be careful you do not cause any binding that could effect the quality of your cut.

Personally I started with the original C-Beam. It worked great for smaller projects. However I did come across a need to cut larger pieces so I upgraded it’s x axis from 500 to 1000mm. I upgraded the bed to wood strips with aluminum t slots every 1 1/2”. I also added a coolant mister, frag chain, led light ring, etc.

I am now working on upgrading other parts like a better controller, Super PID, with true stepper drivers, larger stepper motors, shielded wiring,

So if you are milling aluminum, I would suggest a more powerful spindle, with a VFD. Better work holding, coolant system etc.

I hope this gives you something to think about.

Regards.

Smcfarrell likes this.