Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C beam upgrade for OX

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by MartinTurner, Nov 8, 2015.

1. MartinTurner

MartinTurner Well-Known
    Builder

Hey chaps.

I am looking at upgrading my ox router which has done a great job for the last year or so.

Having baulked at the price of linear slides and screws as well as a significant amount of custom ali machining work that would be required to make them work, i though i would take another look at C Beam.

I want to mill aluminum and hardwoods. My ox jumped it's belts the other day milling 21mm pine in cuts of 3mm.

Questions. Any help much appreciated.

1. How would a c beam actuator compare in strength to say the belts i have now or something like SBR 20 rails ?
    A). I now know - Not as good, but much cheaper.

2. What is the lead screw that they come with - It looks like quite a narrow pitch -
    Will it be ok for a long y Axis - Would it not be to slow to move the machine around quickly ?

3. Would it be possible to run wheels on the inside and outside of the cbeam for maximum rigidity?

4. Is it possible to get a cbeam linear unit 1400mm / or make one ? I see they sell 1500mm lengths.
    A). I now know - To much whip in screw thread at over 1m.

Thanks for any help you can offer me...

Martin

#1 MartinTurner, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  2. MartinTurner

MartinTurner Well-Known
    Builder

Hey guys anyone got any thoughts on this idea of running mini xtreme wheels on the bottom (and maybe top) of the C beam as well as in the middle for the x and y axis of a Cbeam OX?
    Was thinking I could also use 2 nut blocks to lessen the chances of backlash. Obviously the main gantry plate is not yet there, but just trying to iron out the concept...

I hate the idea of the Nema23 mounted on only 2 spacers at the end of the Cbeam. Thinking i am going to have to design custom end plates.

yaxis.png

3. Florian Bauereisen

Builder

Hi,
    having no first hands experience on these ( i use linear rails on my mills) my comment is purely voicing my opinion.
    1. Running the wheels inside onyl will give them little leverage among each other - thus any plate attached will tend to "rotate" (wobble) easylie.
    Compared to that mounting them up and down would be much stronger.
    2. Running wheels inside and outside makes - to me- as little sense as using 4..6 ..8 wheels in a row.
    Reason is that you simply do not know which weel is "loaded"/ in full contact and which is not. Using excentrics is not going to solve that for:
    -applying a lot of preassure "to make sure" will only result in a lot of friction
    -no surface is completely straight. imagine now a statinary setup while trying to mount a plate say horizontally. So one wheel is pushed down into a "vally" while another next to it is lifted up a "hill", next is... and so on.
    Satisfied your plate beeing mounted perfect horizontal you now move your plate left and right....
    see?

Btw. why not going "belt on belt" drive for a first and relatively cheap mod first ?

Just food for thought

greets

flo

#3 Florian Bauereisen, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  4. ChadRat6458

ChadRat6458 Journeyman
    Builder

I have be thinking the same thing. I would like to upgrade the X axis first. I am wondering how hard it would be with my existing y axis plates.