Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-beam stock ends not cut square

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Franc Navarro, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Franc Navarro

Builder

I just got my C-Beam Machine XLarge and I am very disappointed.
    The beams are not cut on 90º angles, not even close.
    It is not the first time that I have problems with the way the beams are cut, openbuilds really need to improve the manufacturing process.
    I attach a picture for you to see it, the beams are aligned at the bottom in the picture.

Attached Files:

2. Rachel Holley

Rachel Holley OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Builder

#2 Rachel Holley, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    GrayUK and Wareagle like this.
  3. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Most people file the end or use a tablesaw or a router jig to fully square up the end.
    I don't remember Openbuilds ever guaranteeing squareness or exact length either?
    One of the steps in the manual is squaring the ends with a file.. pic taken from manual

upload_2018-4-26_10-3-50.png

GrayUK, Wareagle and MaryD like this.
  4. Wareagle

Wareagle New
    Builder

In my opinion it's not a realistic expectation to assume that cuts of stock from any supplier will be 100% dead on accurate, perfectly square and to length within any precise tolerance to speak of. Why? There's a lot of time required to keep saws squared up, then there's the run out in the saw, blade flex, etc... and even if they are attempting to keep cuts square, you are at the mercy (and competency) of the person doing the adjustment and the actual cutting of the stock.

I'm not trying to imply anything toward anyone or any supplier; just making an observation of the bigger picture. It looks like the fine folks at OBPS are on this already!!