Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-beam or V-rail?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by AFORWW, Aug 1, 2017.

1. AFORWW

AFORWW New
    Builder

Hello all, first post here. I'm doing my first CNC DIY build and I'm trying to make a decision. C-beam or V-slot for motion structures? The machine will be 1000x1000 with 250mm of Z travel. I want to use NEMA 23 motors, and a 1.5kw spindle with VFD. I want it to be solid as aluminum is the primary milling material so rigidity is key.

Which of these would be more appropriate?
    V-Slot® NEMA 23 Linear Actuator Bundle (Lead Screw)

Or

C-Beam® Linear Actuator Bundle.

Additionally, the Y axis will use two motors and I eventually want to add an additional 5th axis for lathe work. For the sake of "future proofing" the machine, which controllers/drivers should I go with? I know I'll have to abandon my GRBL/UGS way of doing things so besides Mach 3, any other options?

Thanks in advance.

#1 AFORWW, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  2. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

That 250mm Z travel will kill your build. That's a 10" plunge. Unless you go with an i-beam structure, I doubt the openrails will be able to handle aluminum, unless you make a million shallow passes.

Adding another axis would actually only make a 4 axis. Your slave axis does not count as an additional axis.

Your best bet would be to go through the builds page and look for something that suits your goal. I don't think you have a realistic perspective of that "rigidity is key" statement.

3. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Kevon, I think he just means he will be using a 250mm C-Beam section for the Z just like the 1000x1000 isn't the travel but the length of the members, maybe?
    I would recommend not using the C-beam kits but using an R-7 or sphinx type plate set, more ridged.
    my 2c
    Gary

4. AFORWW

AFORWW New
    Builder

I meant 250mm of travel. Do you nailed that one and it won't kill the build as the table is multi level. The vast majority of the milling will be done in the area of 3 inches of travel.

And I'm not talking about a slave axis. A true 5th axis.

I have quite the clear perspective of rigidity is key. As it's not my first CNC just my first DIY. And neither of my machines use these rail systems so I wasn't sure of their stiffness.

But the OP is moot as I've already made a decision and continued my build. Thanks.