Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam Mister Setup...

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by UltiBots, Jun 6, 2016.

1. UltiBots

UltiBots Veteran
    Builder

Hi All -

My C-Beam Plate Maker is up and running! So far I have successfully cut 6.5mm 6061-T6 Aluminum dry with OK results. See gallery images. I want to add a mister to the machine and would like your thoughts, comments, and suggestions...

So far I have purchased the following:
    I would like to hook this to an air compressor to also blow chips away. I am unsure what type of compressor to purchase. I have been looking at:
    Thanks - Brad
    www.UltiBots.com
    ==================
    Modified C-Beam Bundle
    Dewalt 611
    Elaire 1/8" Collet
    1/8" Single Flute Carbide End Mill
    Workflow = Fusion 360 & Cam > Chilipeppr > Tinyg
    Feed @ 20"/min (508mm/min), Ramp @ 5"/min (127mm/min), Plunge @ 8"/min (203.2mm/min)
    Pocket cut = 0.25mm rough & 0.2mm finish, 3mm max stepover
    Bore cut = 0.2mm pitch
    Contour cut = 0.25mm rough & 0.2mm finish

#1 UltiBots, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  2. evilc66

evilc66 Master
    Builder

I've been thinking about going a similar path with my C-Beam Machine build. From the sounds of it, it will work great. You may want to consider a larger compressor though, as that little thing is going to be cycling a lot, even though the mist coolant setup isn't using a ton of volume. Beyond the noise issue, the constant cycling will add a lot of wear to the compressor with it being an oil-less design.

If you want to keep to that general size though, you may want to look at one of these for about the same price:

https://www.amazon.com/California-A...id=1465394475&sr=1-11&keywords=air+compressor

I've heard that these compressors are very good, and very quiet (comparatively)

Rick 2.0 likes this.
  3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I'd have to second evil66's comment. Pancake compressors are far too loud to spend any significant amount of time in close proximity to.

4. UltiBots

UltiBots Veteran
    Builder

Thanks gents for you input. Wow this project keeps getting bigger, louder, and costly :) BUT... fun!