Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam Machine - MyFirstCNC

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Paul Stoller, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

Paul Stoller published a new build:

Read more about this build...

snokid likes this.
  2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Great job so far @Paul Stoller The pictures you took are really nice with everything laid out neatly, it makes me want to build! :D
    Thank you for sharing. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:
    Mark

Paul Stoller likes this.
  3. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks Mark, I am grateful to have found a forum that is as active as this one for a place to learn. I had been looking various desktop CNC type machines for several years, and finally decided that my best route was to build one myself. I figured I would learn more and spend less, but it was finding the openbuilds site that finally convinced me to pull the trigger and start. Not only where the prices affordable once I saw how active the community I knew I had found the right place.

Serge E., GrayUK and Mark Carew like this.
  4. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

We feel the same way about being here, it truly an honor to be around so many great Builders wanting to help one another learn and innovate, we love it!
    And this community is only going to get better as we grow together so the future is super exciting!
    Thank you again for taking the time to share your Build we hope you have blast learning CNC

Paul Stoller likes this.
  5. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

I was taking a closer look at everything again today and when I turn the flex coupling to move the build plate back and forth I think I can see a small wobble in the lead screw. It may have gotten slightly bent during assembly. Will a slight wobble cause problems, or should I place an order for two lead screws when I order my parts for the X axis.

6. EvanBruner

EvanBruner Well-Known
    Builder

It could be you put too much preload on it when you assembled. Id loosen the lock collar and see if it straightens out. It really shouldn't cause any issues though, maybe some noise at high speed. I'm not an expert but I think that would be a good place to start.

Paul Stoller likes this.
  7. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

Thank you for the suggestion, I will give that a try this evening to see if it makes any difference.

8. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

I went ahead and readjusted the preload and it didn't seem to make much difference. On the other hand it does seem to be fairly slight. I went ahead and shot a video of it although it's so slight it's still hard to make out.

Perhaps I'm just being a bit paranoid, I just want to make sure it won't be a problem with the performance of the machine later on.

9. EvanBruner

EvanBruner Well-Known
    Builder

Doesn't look bad at all, much straighter than mine are in fact. I think it'll just cause some noise and may limit your top speed. I found that my leadscrews get crazy above 1500 mm/s due to the flex.

I read a thread about stabilizing the lead screws by putting Teflon tape at the end of the leadscrew to tighten up the fit on the bearings and using blue locate to hold the bearing in the end plate race. Seems like it would be a good way to quiet the machine and get rid of some slop.

Paul Stoller likes this.
  10. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

Good to hear, I may have to try the loctite and thread tape a try as well.

11. Julius

Julius Well-Known
    Builder

If you need some DRV8828 drivers, I'll sell all 5 of mine to you for... 12$? I swapped driver systems so I dont need them anymore. I also have a 80mm 12V fan with it.

Paul Stoller likes this.
  12. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks Julius, I appreciate the offer, since I plan on using the high torque NEMA 23's from the parts store I plan on getting the DQ542MA drivers, the pololu drivers just don't have quite enough power to adequately drive the HT NEMA23s. I'll be hooking up the external drivers to the protoneer hat.

13. Julius

Julius Well-Known
    Builder

well in that case, you should look into the TB6600's instead.

14. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

I had read a bit on the TB6600's and they were almost what I had decided to go with, but then I started reading about DSP based drivers (such as the DQ542MA's), and how they tend to give smoother and quieter operation than traditional drivers. I know the DQ542s are a bit more expensive, but I'm looking at reducing noise as much as possible as I'll be using my machine in an apartment. I'm actually building a sound dampening enclosure for the CNC as well.

15. EvanBruner

EvanBruner Well-Known
    Builder

For what its worth, the motor noise will be completely inconsequential compared to the spindle / cutting noise. I have an enclosure as well and the motors are inaudible but the cutter sure isnt.

Serge E. and Paul Stoller like this.
  16. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

Evan, Thank you for the info. I figured the router/cutting action would be the loudest component, but I figure every little bit helps. The enclosure design I'm working on will be made up of multiple layers with some sound absorbing material sandwitched between the plywood (along with an air gap). The front door will be made of a "box" with two layers of 1/4 inch plexi. The other option I'm considering adding, but not sure if it will be worth the expense is some mass loaded vinyl to help with the noise reduction. I'm hopeful to get the noise down to the point that I don't have the neighors after me and I can run the machine for hours without driving myself crazy.

GrayUK likes this.
  17. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

The loudest part of my system is the shop vac. I can't hear anything over that.

18. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

Yeah they can be quite loud, I'm toying with the idea of taking the innards of an old vacuum cleaner and using that to integrate the vacuum into my enclosure. (the catch chamber would be external). If I end up adding an air compressor that will end up getting it's own enclosure.

19. Julius

Julius Well-Known
    Builder

just an FYI, 2nd hand towels layered together are better at sound dampening then the foam, and a LOT cheaper.

Paul Stoller likes this.
  20. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

That's a good thought, thank you, I had been thinking about using acoustic ceiling tiles as they have a decent noise reduction co-efficient of .55 (meaning they block about 55% of the sound energy that passes through them and are fairly inexpensive. But I'm certainly open to exploring other inexpensive materials. I'll have to test that out.

21. Julius

Julius Well-Known
    Builder

theres a few vids on youtube about it if you want to get more proof of concept for it.

Paul Stoller likes this.
  22. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

That's awesome, I appreciate the tip. From looking at some of the other sound proofing products that are out there it's possible the old towels could hit something at ~.85 noise reduction coefficient which would be a nice significant bump even from the acoustic tiles.

23. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

Julius,

I took your advice to look up an example on youtube, it does seem to be a decent method. I thought I would share a link in case anyone else is curious about it.

Thank you again.

GrayUK likes this.
  24. Bad Sequel

Bad Sequel Well-Known
    Builder

Hey! Nice find that video.

Towels to the rescue!

Paul Stoller likes this.
  25. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

Here is a wiring diagram for the Pi hat I'm using.

[​IMG]

GrayUK and Moag like this.
  26. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

I've just gotten my electronics put together and I have run into a bit of a snag. When I have a stepper hooked up it does not appear to be moving when jogging the axis, the stepper makes a bit of a knocking sound but no apparent movement. My connections appear to be correct, so I'm not sure where to go next in the troubleshooting. Here is a picture of the axis I have setup to test.
    IMG_2375.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg

Attached Files:

#26 Paul Stoller, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  27. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Is there a reason you don't have it wired like the diagram?

Paul Stoller likes this.
  28. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

I'll try reconfiguring it as the diagram above has it, I had forgotten I added that diagram in my build earlier and I had looked at how Kyo had his wired as I know he as using this same setup. Perhaps I didn't quite get it right when looking at the wiring in his video.

29. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

That appears to have fixed it, thanks for the reminder, I really should have caught that when I went to post my question and saw the diagram.

Rick 2.0 likes this.
  30. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

Hmmm, after I went back and created new cables with wiring matching the diagram I was unable to get movement on any axis. I've tested the cable and all of the conductors are as expected. I'm going to have to take a break and think about this.