Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam build advice. Internal Wheel C-Beam Gantry style strong enough?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by JakeWyman, Nov 12, 2015.

1. JakeWyman

JakeWyman New
    Builder

Hi! I'm building a new CNC Router based on the C-Beam but I wanted to get an opinion from someone that has use the C-Beam components specifically the small C-Beam Gantry with the internal riding wheels. These seem very clean to me and I like the idea of having them protected inside the C-Beam on X, Y and Z. However as you can see in my proposed setup I have the Z and X linked together with 2 C-Beams facing each other. I'm concerned as I don't see this configuration on other OpenBuilds, but I wonder if it's because these gantry plates are new or if it's just too structurally weak to do any serious cutting. I see a lot of similar setups with the external wheels riding on both X and Z, but not the internal wheels.

Please let me know your thoughts on this configuration and what you would change... I am also concerned with my Uprights carrying the main gantry for stability looking for advise again if these C-Beam Gantry plates with the internal riding wheels will be enough.

The other place where I am struggling is with the 4080 stock pieces and getting proper brackets to fit the C-Beam channels with standard 4080 beams. Anyone with advise here?

Thanks! Everything is on order and I will be building this up over the next few months. I will post as I start to build it out and as I make changes, etc...

My build purpose is to be able to cut and carve mostly wood and plastic. I have the occasional need to do some light cutting and drilling on aluminum so Im hoping I can be rigid enough for that purpose. I also wanted a good size bed so this is a full 1000MM by 750MM

Thanks!

Jake-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]