Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam™ Machine - Plate Maker

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Jul 16, 2015.

1. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace

2. Pedro Melim

Builder

Im looking into buying a C-Beam kit, but i heard that the plate can have some flex to it, and since i wanted to have the max build this machine can have, i started to plan buying some extra parts to be able to make the bed more rigid.

My plan was to do something like jmdhuse did here and explained here.

My problem is this is raising the cost quite a bit, like 150€.

Any chance you guys have a better idea on how i could get the the max build area possible and fix the flex on the plate?

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Builder

You might take a look at the outriggers on this one: Improved CBM

Mark Carew likes this.
  4. arcrunner

arcrunner Journeyman
    Builder

Hi all,
    I have a few extra extrusion I could use to build this, but just curious if using 2040 for the sides and lower cross braces would make too much of a negative impact? I have enough c beam for the other pieces, and would like to use c beam to hold up the z like I've seen in another build. Would j probably be okay? Or just go ahead and buy more 2080/2060?

5. Yoav

Yoav New
    Builder

Hey all, built the thing, configured the software, everything looks great but the stepper motors will not move. They lock into place when the controller is turned on, the controller will flash and the motors will make a click sound when I jog through the software, and the location indicator in the software shows the proper movement - but the motors do not move.
    What could be the problem?
    I tried changing the current on the controller, switching the motor pairs, restarting everything, double checked the setting.... nothing works...

6. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

first, slow down your max rates and acceleration in GRBL. However if this was too fast you would hear a whining sound, but you don't mention that.

also, check you actually connected the pairs (-: Mark's video does show how to figure out the pairs, you cannot trust color codes as every motor maker does it their own way.

7. Techvette

Techvette Journeyman
    Builder

@Mark Carew

Could you post the F&S and endmill specs you used when cutting the XY c-beam demo plate?

Also, how did you handle chip clearing?

I made two modified versions of this awhile back (modified to include a limit switch mount and NEMA23 motor mount) and am embarrassed to say that, now that I need to make a slightly different version, I keep breaking endmills. I must've suffered some sort of memory loss in the meantime. o_O

8. Arzak

Arzak Well-Known
    Builder

I am not sure if I am posting this at the right place. I have a Plate maker and I want to add limit switches on both ends of each axis I am using the Blackbox and the micro limit switches. I need to know how to wire them up. The only diagram i can find is gnea/grbl. Thanks for any help.

9. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

Mark Carew likes this.