Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

buzzing / vibration on y-axis

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by gazingm42, Mar 5, 2017.

1. gazingm42

gazingm42 New
    Builder

On the final path to finishing this project....

So I have a 1000mm x 1000mm cnc. Which the Y - axis has 2 motors at the rear turning each a 8mm lead
    screw in a c-beam. With a over head x-axis with single stepper with 1000mm 8mm lead screw.

When the y-axis moves +/- it makes a loud buzzing or vibration. I tried to figure out the location but seems
    to have no area I can pin point it. It appears to be a vibration sound.. I can press on any of the y-axis or cross members I see feel the vibration. I can not seem to figure it out, but thinking it just normal noise made from the
    steppers moving the lead screws.

I have watched and measured many times the movement of both sides of the y-axis of the x-axis to make sure
    there no binding etc.

Also x-axis makes a similar noise but not close to the volume.

Any ideas?

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It sounds to me that you may have the wiring wrong. Especially since your using 2 motors on the same axis one has the be wired in revers so it can be easy to mix these up.I would suggest that you double check these motor wires. (make sure to power down first)

3. gazingm42

gazingm42 New
    Builder

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Wiring seems to be ok. As the Y-Axis is moving just making the buzzing/vibration in the
    aluminum rails. I did loosen both couplings so the lead screws would not move. There no noise from the motors and turn fine.

It appears there a vibrations resonating in the aluminum rails.

4. Jonathon Duerig

Jonathon Duerig Journeyman
    Builder

@gazingm42 Put your hands on the motors themselves. Even if they do not seem to be making a lot of noise themselves, does it decrease the overall noise level?

For my current setup, the Y-axis movement is also the loudest thing. This is caused by two things. One is that I've got my pots on the motors turned a bit on the high side so that the motors themselves transmit vibration into the frame. And two is that I have a fair amount of loose hardware on the frame. Mostly T-nuts that are captured in some of the runs that I added as 'just in case' hardware to make mounting stuff on easier. The machine became noticeably quieter when I used extra set screws from a makerlink order to fix most of those floating t-nuts into place.

Mark Carew likes this.
  5. gazingm42

gazingm42 New
    Builder

@Jonathon Duerig, Thank you so much for the suggestion on the motors pots. Mine were set to the default as recommended by tinyg wiki between the 8 & 4 position. By turning them down just a little the noise disappeared by 85%. Now the family is not going kick me to the garage, until the router is installed and starts
    cutting tonight or tomorrow :)

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Mark Carew likes this.
  6. Dan Biskup Home

Builder

Hey my lead 1515 seems to be working pretty accurately now but I do have some issues... as it homes it gets noisy. While adjusting both and y axis at same time....

Individually the axis seem quiet... any suggestions on how to chase down the cause.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

May just be resonance at the lower speeds. But do try some dry PTFE (never oil) lubricant on the leadscrews

8. Dan Biskup Home

Builder

Is there a way to add an option of homing X or Y first and then the other. Maybe even leave the z axis out of homing. Or just use Z homing to find a max possition, as it needs to be set differently anyway?

I've really gotten use to zeroing Z on the tool bed surface for anything I'm cutting out. (Saves the tool bed a bit more.) When I'm engraving I zero to the surface of the material. Engraving is sensitive to depth of cut and therefore , doesn't handle material thickness variation well.

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Checkout the Grbl Wiki for recompiling instructions. Homing sequences can be customised in config.h