Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Building an Acro off kit standard: some questions of what differences things can make

Discussion in 'DrawBot' started by lizard, Apr 1, 2023.

Tags:
  1. lizard

lizard New
    Builder

Hi—

I already asked the question about substituting 2040 for 2020 in the 1515 build and am going to try that.

I have some other small options, and sometimes sourcing one part is easier than another. As I am relatively naive when it comes to building these things, I just had a few questions on what sorts of differences these substitutions could make:

1. Pulley teeth: I see on the build list the pulley is 14 tooth. What if I used 20 teeth? What are the consequences to the resolution or what must I consider?

2. GT2 timing belt width: In the kit it is 5mm, what if I were to use 6mm? Does that affect anything?

3. Are low profile screws necessary for build or are the more of an aesthetic choice?

Thanks!

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Lower resolution, faster top speed. Toltally workable

Might catch on the slot sides, belt pinion has part of the belt laying in the slot.

In some locations taller heads can interfere, but you can always grind down offending ones as you go along

3. lizard

lizard New
    Builder

Oh good to know, I would actually have thought better resolution so shows what I know :)

And thanks for other answers

4. roses

roses New
    Builder

I'll add that the xtension wire connectors, low profile screws, and precision shims (spacers) are basically impossible to find anywhere else. And the low profile screws are very useful when setting things up on the gantry.

5. lizard

lizard New
    Builder

I am in Europe and have actually found lots of different companies that stock OpenBuilds product including the things you mention. Ratrig.com in Portugal has all of those and there is also vslot-poland.com that sells entire Acro kits as well as the parts. There are a few more as well including tiny resellers here.

But good to know these things are important! I have a lot of low profile screws on order now and xtension wire connectors. Already got the shims!

roses likes this.