Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Build Plate Issues.

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Ronald4418, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

Alright now, I've got my machine ready except for One Small Little Issue. I've got my C-Beam Xl to the point that I'm ready to mount my waste board. The only problem is, I'm running a Single C-Beam on the Y-Axis and using a Build Plate XL and the Mounting holes I would use to mount the Wasteboard are at most .125" in Diameter. There are no suppliers nearby to supply Metric Fasteners unless I buy a Gross of them and even still half a dozen .125 Machine Screws can't be counted on to provide a secure enough mounting of the wasteboard.

Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just scrap the whole thing and take it as a loss, like I did with the Plates I ordered for the OX Belt Driven System I constructed?

I've got over $10,000 invested and I keep running into roadblocks that nobody else seems to have. Especially with the number of active members and machines out in the community.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I would suggest #6 round head wood screws. If you don't feel the 8 holes provided will be sufficient you can always drill more holes in the plate for additional screws as the aluminum drills very easily. You can also drill out the holes a bit if you want to go with #8 or #10 screws.

What was the issue with the Ox you were building?

3. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

It turns out that I have the Universal Mounting Plate and not the C-Beam Gantry XL Plate. I guess I'm going to have to take it back off and Drill at least 4 or more Holes to enable a secure mounting system.