Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox x32 w/ Interface - Stepper Motors not moving.

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by sackindustries, Jun 12, 2023.

1. sackindustries

Builder

Hello!

I have my high torque openbuilds stepper motor wired up like the diagram below. I just have x axis wired up for testing.

I turned on the power and tried to jog the x axis motor using the handheld interfance and the motor is not wanting to move. It just vibrates in place and stutters a step. Is there something I'm missing?

[​IMG]

#1 sackindustries, Jun 12, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
  2. sackindustries

Builder

Hello!

I have my high torque openbuilds stepper motor wired up like the diagram below for my x32 blackbox. I just have x axis wired up for testing.

I turned on the power and tried to jog the x axis motor using the handheld interfance and the motor is not wanting to move. It just vibrates in place and stutters a step. Is there something I'm missing? I double checked everything and can't seem to see what's missing.

[​IMG]

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Don't forget to load a machine profile from Grbl Settings tab in CONTROL / Tools and Utils on Interface

4. sackindustries

Builder

I tried loading the minimill profile and it says profile not found.

What section of the documentation is this in?

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

5. sackindustries

Builder

Didn’t realize there was a whole other documentation for the interface. I’ll go through it now. Thanks!

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Don't forget to follow the Interface setup instructions. Missing profile file indicates you skipped over section 3.3 of docs:interface:start [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Inside the cover of each product's package is a link/QR code to its documentation.

But peruse the rest of docs.openbuilds.com too - software section etc to learn more about CAD/CAM workflow etc too

We also have in depth videos for each machine (that shows loading machine profile, wiring, etc)

7. sackindustries

Builder

So my machine profile load is just stuck at this screen.

I tried to load the minimill, but after seeing your guys minimill, I think the steps will be off since I’m using a harbor freight siegx2 one with actual ballscrews.

Also I installed all the firmware onto the interface etc etc, have the usb with the files loaded onto it.

Stepper motor still not moving. It's all openbuilds stuff.

Attached Files:

#7 sackindustries, Jun 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
  8. Peter Van Der Walt

Make sure you did review the documentation (Interface and BlackBox X32 both) and did follow firmware update steps on both. The lockup looks like outdated firmware, Interface should be on V1.57 and BlackBox should be on latest too.

For a custom machine, use CONTROL to get it all going first. Much easier with a full suite of software, then switch to Interface when you run day-to-day

9. kth

kth New
    Builder

I have a X2 Mill based on 1605 ballscrews with a 4x BlackBox(should still import to a X32) w/limit switches enabled and this is what I currently have running. See if this will get you started and then you will need to set your maximum travels and tune your steps, etc.

+1 for removing the Interface(completely disconnected) and using a computer straight to the BlackBox and CONTROL to get it up and running and stable before introducing it back.

Post some pics, there aren't many/any? other ones running a BlackBox that I know of. 8^)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  10. Peter Van Der Walt

Make sure to use CONTROL > Grbl Settings tab > Restore Backup if you decide to apply this backup, so that it applies the necessary 4X > X32 conversions for you. The Restore tool handles that for you, but do note some values do change

11. sackindustries

Builder

Thank you both!

@kth heres my mini mill.

An old CNC Fusion kit. I bought this mill converted to CNC already running mach 3 for cheap. I didn't like how it had this huge control box and a computer running windows XP, so I decided to get something a little more compact for my workspace (hence the blackbox and interface setup). It’s got a brushless motor inspired by this gentleman (www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndhsCeuEv-4). Brackets are custom ones I made and got them laser cut, it's completely bolt in to the belt drive kit from LMS (some parts from LMS). Custom control box 3D printed. Also added a tachometer. Not done yet so the wiring is a bit messy.

Attached Files:

#11 sackindustries, Jun 14, 2023
    Mark Carew likes this.
  12. kth

kth New
    Builder

Very nice! I think I stumbled across yours recently or someone using that same/similar motor.

Good luck and keep us updated 8^)

13. sackindustries

Builder

EDIT. I figured it out. The X and Y wanted lower current. I adjusted it back down a bit and then both Axis worked again.

It's very odd. I have the stepper motors all plugged up correctly. X and Y doesnt want to jog, but Z does. I tried swapping the motors around and X and Y doesnt jog. I see on the back that there is a red exclamation mark for x and y which could mean one of the following:

Faults that trigger the LED:

• Overcurrent (Adjust current down or up a little)
    • Overtemperature (Adjust current down a little, check fan)
    • Short circuit (Check wiring, Check motor)
    • Low Input voltage (Check Power Supply)

I made sure that the pot is in the same position as the Z. I confirmed it because I am not using Y2, so I left a mark to see where default is.

#13 sackindustries, Jun 14, 2023
    Mark Carew likes this.