Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

BlackBox X32 - Step/Dir Output?

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Awestruck, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Awestruck

Awestruck New
    Builder

For the original BlackBox, I believe there was no step/dir output.

I've glanced through the docs on the new BlackBox X32, and I wasn't seeing a way to get just step/dir, so I thought I'd ask if there is one. I like the idea of the X32, and I like the idea of servos, something like Teknic's Clearpath for a potential machine build I'm looking into. With the Clearpath they would take a step/dir input. BBX32 just seems like a simple system, well packaged.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Correct, BlackBox X32 is just an evolution of the BlackBox family, so the old familiar values like simple to setup, plug and play, and all-inclusive still applies as it did before.

For the adventurous hacker the dir/step pins have always been available on a the interboard header, even labelled - you can tap the signals off there by soldering to the back side of the connectors

3. Awestruck

Awestruck New
    Builder

Ohhh - yes I love the simple aspect.

Do you happen to have a picture of board and where the signals are? I'm certainly done my fair share of advanced modifications.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Checkout the old 4X assembly instructions docs:blackbox-4x:assemblyinstructions [OpenBuilds Documentation] (back from when BlackBox was still a kit)

The large pin header between the Brains and the Muscle boards carry the signals to the stepper drivers down below. Headers are nicely shown in Step 4, flatter topdown view in Step 7 shows the labelling next to the pins better

5. Awestruck

Awestruck New
    Builder

Very helpful. I see them clearly and understand the assembly better now. I forgot that this used to be a kit. So much progress!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. WOPR73

WOPR73 New
    Builder

Is the x4 able to be swapped out with the x32? Or do you need to change the wiring in someway?

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Depends what you had hooked up, minor changes around Toolhead connectors (more flexibility)
    See docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox

8. WOPR73

WOPR73 New
    Builder

It would be nice to have a comparison chart side by side detailing all changes such as processor, memory, port types, Wi-Fi band, pin outs, etc; I have to go back and look at build instructions of the x32 and setup instructions to get most of the information. But, it is still not 100% clear.

9. Peter Van Der Walt

See docs:blackbox-x32:layout [OpenBuilds Documentation]