Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox X32 Rotary 4th Axis Wiring

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by JohnCMatthews, Aug 1, 2023.

1. JohnCMatthews

Builder

I'm planning an upgrade for my current CNC machine to make it a bit larger, give it a better controller, as well as an independent 4th axis eventually. I see that the Blackbox x32 has true 4 axis control, but my machine has 2 Y NEMA 23 stepper motors which takes up the additional axis. I have read on another discussion on this forum that it's perfectly fine to wire both Y steppers into a single Y axis connection to free up the Y2 connection for the rotary axis. Can the stepper controller and power supply in the X32 truly handle both NEMA 23 motors on one connection? I just want to be certain this isn't going to be a problem before I buy the Blackbox.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Correct, that is how its done and works just fine

3. JohnCMatthews

Builder

Thanks Peter. One more question about this. Does the OpenBuilds Control software have support for an A axis so you I can jog and home the 4th axis? I don’t see an option for it, but maybe I’m missing something?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

First flash the 4th axis firmware then it will show up. Connected to 3 axes machine, it only shows relevant 3 axes UI

5. JohnCMatthews

Builder

Great! Thanks again for the info! This is incredibly useful.

6. Craig & Silas

Builder

I am adding a 4th axis to my 1010 which has Nema 23 motors. The dividing head that I am interested in has a Nema 17 motor are the two types of motors compatible if operating with a black box 32 controller.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Yes, you can set current per-axis docs:blackbox-x32:currentadjustment [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    There is one catch your, your A-Axis NEMA17 should ideally be NEMA 17 Stepper Motor or similar specs. If its too weak, we can burn up the motor. BlackBox is meant for strong machines, so the current adjustment has a minimum of around 1.2A RMS (Ideal for 1.7A motors like ours). Check your motor's specs, if its under that current for max rating, replace it with our motor