Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox X32 + AnoleX 1.5kw spindle kit

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by MikeP911, May 28, 2024.

1. MikeP911

MikeP911 New
    Builder

Hi, first time poster here with a question. I'm running an AnoleX machine with an X32 controller. It has been running great with a makita router and now I want to upgrade to a 1.5kw spindle.

What I know:

I connected the spindle to the stock board and was able to turn it on through Gcode commands to make sure it works. I put a multimeter on the output pwm signal of the stock board and got 5V. I've read other posts of people using the 0-10v port to send the pwm signal to the vfd to turn on the spindle. I'm not sure if this will damage the vfd controller so I wanted to check in with you guys to see what you recommend.

Questions:
    -
    Should I use the 0-10v port to power on the spindle (after using the potentiometer to lower the output voltage)?

-Will the 0-10V go low enough (5V) to turn the vfd on?

-Should I be using a different port?

Any help would be much appreciated.

-Mike

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If it was a standard VFD:

Usually yes docs:blackbox-x32:connect-vfd [OpenBuilds Documentation]

It goes from 0-10v yes. But its a scaling analog signal. Not a PWM signal...
    But your VFD should be correctly configured for that, and correctly wired.

Min Freq set to 120Hz in VFD parameters mainly:
    120hz min / 400hz max = +-7200 RPM minimum speed
    120/400 * 10v = 3V
    0-3V / 0-7200RPM = Spindle turns off. Spindle only turns on above 3v / 7200RPM (and scales RPM up to 7200-24000rpm for 3-10v) into the 0-10v port on a correctly setup VFD

Now all the above becomes complicated by your picture: Someone wrapped a VFD in a metal box, and now its "they'll have to answer these questions" as they undid some of the standard stuff. Maybe peak inside perhaps its just a standard VFD we have a writeup for? Otherwise, these questions are best sent to the VFD supplier so they can provide tech support for their product.

BlackBox has two industry standard outputs: 0-10v or 3.3v PWM

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Their manual link has a PDF for the YL620, we have a couple writeups here, its not a good VFD, but not too unpopular (cheap so popular)

4. MikeP911

MikeP911 New
    Builder

Thank you Peter, I appreciate the help. I'm going to read the write ups and give it a go.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. Peter Van Der Walt

Just double check manual if 5v vs 10v is a jumper, set that before connecting BlackBox or you can burn out the 0-10v section
    Well, lots of the upcoming can, so double check everything twice :)

6. MikeP911

MikeP911 New
    Builder

So I opened up my vfd and it looks like it's a yl620-h, I only found one thread on this model. There aren't a lots of posts in the thread so I'm reading and re-reading to try and understand everything. I'll need to download the manual and look at that as well. I haven't done anything just yet, going to try and find more information first. I'll have to dive deeper tonight, I need to go get my kids from school.

Attached Files:

7. Peter Van Der Walt

8. MikeP911

MikeP911 New
    Builder

Ok, so I've been reading the manual and other posts and have a few more questions.

What I plan to do:
    Move the + wire of the connector from the DI1 terminal to the AI1 terminal and leave the GND alone.
    2.Connect the pwm cable to the 0-10v port accordingly
    3. Change settings? (see question 3)

Questions:
    Does the Frequency source need to be changed to AI1? If so, does that mean that I can change RPM through software instead of the potentiometer?

2. AI1 voltage range is 0-10v and is 0 by default. Should I just leave this parameter alone?

3. What are the critical settings that I need to confirm?

I saw the settings on this post: YL620-A VFD Settings

Looking at the manual many of the P0-XX numbers don't match up to what my manual says as these settings are for the YL620-A and I have a YL620-H

Sorry to bug, I just want to make sure I don't fry this thing as I don't think I can afford to replace it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Thats the intention of a analog 0-10v output, as described above

Unsure, 3rd party VFD. Manual, VFD supplier or trust the community writeup?

Writeup in the docs - community provided (so at your own risk), cross check VFD manual. Sadly with these you are the one taking the risk.

That is a shame, the 620A is at least somewhat popular, maybe get the 620A manual, cross check what its in there, then find equivalent in yours.

Otherwise can you return this one and buy a VFD from a vendor that can provide tech support for their product, nice manuals and ideally one of the nice VFDs (H100 is my fav)

10. bdw1980

bdw1980 New
    Builder

I reached out to the company about this via email because I am working on the same thing and below is the question I sent and his reply.

Me - Is the input connection on the back of the VFD setup to accept 0-10 volts analog? The controller I use has an analog output of 0-10 volts. I read somewhere that your model VFD is setup for 0-5 volts by factory settings so I don't want to fry it if that is true. The controller I use is from Openbuilds and is called the X32 and these are the specs for the controller - docs:blackbox-x32:connect-vfd [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Arlans reply - Hello, you can connect 0-10V analog voltage, the pwm interface on the control box supports up to 24V. But you can only control the spindle to run and stop through 0-10V signal, and cannot achieve speed regulation

So if I am understanding what he said, you can hook it up as is but can only run and stop through the signal and not adjust speed via blackbox

Brian Williams

11. Peter Van Der Walt

I don't want to say it out loud, but he sounds clueless. All VFDs allow speed control, so it seem remote that that might be the truth.
    Consider return if thats an option (then buy one of those for which writeups exist like the H100), or study the VFD manual yourself. Most likely some standard VFD inside, bypass their 'extras' and wire it up normally.