Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox setting for Workbee 1510

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Dave Pinchbeck, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Dave Pinchbeck

Builder

Hi All

I am getting close to finishing the build of my Workbee 1510 machine, but now I have a couple of issues that I just cant figure out. I am using the standard 1510 configuration that comes with the openbuilds software, except modifying the speed and amount of travel I have for X, Y and Z
    1. After moving any of the 3 axis back to their limit switch, it stops as planned, but when I go to move away from the endstop I only get about 0.64mm of movement before the switch trips again and stops the machine. After resetting again it will move just fine. Is there a delay setting that I need to increase or turn off?

2. When moving the Y axis from a zero position stepper Y2 starts in reverse and then moves in the right direction once the angle of the gantry has put load onto the motor. Any movement after that seems to be fine, but now the the machine is out of square for the rest of the job. What might be causing this?

3. The 2 motors for Y1 and Y2 are getting hot very quickly, ie it only takes about 3 full length runs of the axis and they are over 70c according to my digital temp sensor. I hate to think how hot they might get running a job if this is the case. I have not adjusted the current outputs from the control box for any of the axis yet, so what should I be looking at to fix this problem. All motors are NEMA23's rated at 1.26Nm.
    Thanks in advance for any help

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

1) have a look at your $27 (pull off distance) setting. Increase it to (say) 10 - you can decrease it later if it solves the problem.
    2) if that doesn't work post your grbl settings here so we can have a look at them.

Re question 2: check the wiring to that motor carefully - I would suspect the motor end given the symptoms, but check every connection - see;
    Stepper motors won't turn

Re question 3: first check for any stiffness or binding in that axis. Don't turn stepper motors by hand if they are plugged in! Best to unplug them from the controller, and it might be easier to check gantry travel if you undo the motor couplers.
    Blackbox docs have instructions for adjusting motor current : (sorry my phone/WiFi is playing up - will post link later if I can.
    Alex.

#2 Alex Chambers, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Sounds more like he has the issue when moving into the endstop (crashing) not homing, and manually trying to backout:
    In this case, that is expected; especially if you move into the switch fast, you are in deep into it, and its needs some distance to clear. Keep on clearing alarm, moving out until you are clear