Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox, nema 23 high torque

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by Robert White, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Robert White

Builder

so I have purchase the 1510 workbee with blackbox and with the high torque Nema steppers. Well doing assembling it. I have decided to upgrade my X and Y axis to lead screw setup. Doing so. It causes me to have to slow it down. Well I love to able to run them at 48 volts to achieve the speed. And not max them out. But at the same time I would love to stick with the blackbox. So ? For you. Can I get 48volts external step drivers with a separate power supply to run them. And still able use the blackbox to drive the external stepper drivers.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Our high-torque motors have 3v coils and the drivers inside the BlackBox will run them at their Max RPM even at 24v input (plenty of extra voltage for fast rise times) - you'll reach Grbl's step rate limit before the drive voltage becomes an issue.

Other things to do:
    - Dial the acceleration settings in Grbl Settings down a little, bigger rotor, more enertia.
    - Dial in a little more current docs:blackbox:currentadjustment [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    - Make sure the mechanicals are running smooth!

3. Robert White

Builder

But are these rated to run off of 48 volts too.

4. Robert White

Builder

Also. To adjust the dial up. How do you know if it’s to much.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Stepper drivers/motors work intelligently. You apply an input voltage (at least 2/3x motor coil rating). The driver is set to a particular average current setting. It now has a fixed point in coil resistance R, and a fix setpoint in current setting I. Ohms law, V=I*R. With I and R as constants the driver intelligently regulates the voltage (reducing it from input voltage) to maintain the current setpoint. As the voltage is controlled by the driver, input voltage becomes a lot less relevant than the old days.

Now above that, stepper motors are not simple DC motors, the drivers create two AC phases running at several hundred kilohertz to control the coils. The intelligence inside the driver changes the shape, frequency, output voltage, and chopper algorithm continually to do it what it has to do.

The old 'myth' that higher voltages gives massive increases in top speed than 24v used to apply more heavily when stepper motors had 12v coil ratings (ours are 3v, with inductance, resistance, and all other parameters carefully chosen to fit our intents) and older stepper drivers just used logic chip for non-microstepping lookup tables and mosfets (in contrast to modern chopper drivers, with microstepping, that doesnt even need fast rise times anymore)

Times have moved on. At best, yes, you might see a few percent (<10%)faster acceleration, but our components were meticulously chosedmn to work well together.

Throw in some off brand motors with unknown coil parameters on old cloned 1980s drivers and then maybe you'd need 48v :)

6. Peter Van Der Walt

See docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox > Current Adjustment

7. Robert White

Builder

Ok. About the y axis ( 2 motors for y axis ). I have the 1510 setup. Are we adjusting both dails or just one since they are being slaved as one together. Cause it would be hard to adjust both of them equally.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

They don't have to be super precisely the same. Too low and it stalls. Too high and things overheat. Big sweetspot in between