Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox Nema 17 initial parameters

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Marcsallent, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Marcsallent

Builder

Hello!

I purchased an ACRO 1510 building kit with a BlackBox several months ago and just now I have been able to start working on the project.

Everything is set, but I'm having a hard time configuring Grbl settings. I have these stepper motors 42J1848-810 (configured "for speed" like in this post) and either they "slip" and lose steps or make a horrible noise or, whenever I have found something close to a sweet spot playing also with the driver current, they end up being super hot (cannot hold them for a second) and start slipping again.

Can somebody point me or share their initial settings? For the X-axis I have been using many combinations, currently at:
    - steps/mm: 57.143 steps/mm
    - max rate: 5000 mm/min
    - acceleration: 250 mm/s^2
    - current: 1/8 up (half a quarter turn)

For the Y axis, I have tried similar configurations but it always ends up slipping at some point along the Y axis.

Thanks!

marc

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

More likely: docs:blackbox:faq-identify-motor-coils [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    Current setting for NEMA17s is all the way down - 1.2A on the far left of the adjustment, but first, address the skipping/weird noises by addressing the Wiring issue. Either incorrectly paired (very likely as its 3rd party motors), or only 3 of the 4 wires making contact - explains your symptoms.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

4. Marcsallent

Builder

Oh! thank you so much Peter. I let somebody recommend me the motors and I didn't realize what I was actually buying.
    I savaged the motors from another machine to test them and they're working perfectly since start. Getting them from the store now!
    Thanks!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.