Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox conversion for Xcarve.

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Andrew David, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Andrew David

Builder

I have a 2015 xcarve. getting rid of the Arduino and gshield. I like the blackbox design and instruction. I also just purchased the power source. was going to use the original one supplied form inventables but decided not to risk it.

the motors are nema 17's. manufactured by smart automation.(model# sm42ht47-1684b) I have added the datasheet for the motor and an image for my wiring directly from the motor.

now where I am confused is the phase positive and negative. the Blackbox id's both phases with a positive and negative coil lead. but in the datasheet It doesnt id the positive and negative leads. I would assume wiring backwards would run the motors in reverse? but I don't want to risk damaging the controller.

I think BLACK is A+ and GREEN is A-, also RED is B+ and BLUE is B-. this is speculation.

Any body else try this? Tips? suggestions? if I am missing data please let me know.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

You can sort the wires into pairs with a multimeter- low resistance = one coil, high resistance = not connected. If you plug them in and they just stutter in place when you try to move them, just switch off the BB, flip around one of the phases- not both- and it should work just fine.

If for some reason you don't have a multimeter, you can just short the ends of the lead together until the motor locks up when you try to turn it by hand. Matching pairs stop the motor from turning.

As long as you got a good BB unit in the first place, it's pretty hard to hurt it.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Andrew David

Builder

valid point thank you