Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox Controller with X-carve

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by John hernandez1, Oct 28, 2019.

1. John hernandez1

Builder

I picked up a used 1000m X-carve with a Blackbox Controller, I am having issues getting the machine to work. I have downloaded the Onenbuilds Control and when joging the machine to the right it will only go about half way in the X-axis till i get an error that it wont move any more due to machine limit (im paraphrasing as i dont have the machine infront of me) in the Y-axis it will only move about 1/4 of the length of the machine and the Z-axis wont go all the way down.

All connections are tight and there are no limit switchs being activated when it moves in those directions, its almost as there is some software limiting the movement of the machine. I have checked in the Openbuilds control and was not able to find where to imput size of machine. I have also tried using Easel and I run into the same issue.

Help, please.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You need to setup your machine parameters: Travel limits is here: gnea/grbl
    But you basically need to setup all you parameters: The Grbl wiki explains all of it: gnea/grbl and in particular gnea/grbl and gnea/grbl are must-reads

3. Wes1979

Wes1979 New
    Builder

I have an blackbox controller that I am using with an X-carve. My issue is that the z-axis moves are to short. I put it to move 10mm and get 2.5mm. I did the wizard to try and calibrate it and find that its is like a moving target. What should I do next?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

1) Check mechanicals: loose setscrews on leadscrew coupler causing slippage?
    2) Check Acceleration not set too high - 3rd party motors may be slower than ours
    3) Once its all reliable - redo calibration

5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Do those use a single start lead screw?

6. Wes1979

Wes1979 New
    Builder

Noob right here. Not sure exactly what a single start lead screw is. I haven't changed anything with the original set up. My understanding is that is a acme lead screw. Don't know if that helps much?

7. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Single start is like common screws where you have a single continuous thread.
    Single.jpg

In a 4-start screw there are actually 4 threads running side by side. If you were to put a felt tip on one of the threads and turn the screw, by the time you turned a full rotation of the screw you'd be 4 threads from where you started.
    4-start.jpg

The difference is fairly obvious though just by looking at the slope of the threads. But in that you're off by a factor of 4, this would make that kind of difference.