Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

black box usb dropping out?

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by baum, Dec 21, 2020.

1. baum

baum New
    Builder

So i got an odd issue that all of a sudden has started. When I use my vacuum to clean up chips while the cnc is running it makes my usb drop out to the black box.

My vac is on a different circuit in the house. computer/bb/router on one and the vac on another.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Alex Chambers likes this.
  3. baum

baum New
    Builder

Even on different circuits? Do you know what would cause this all of a sudden? its been working good for a year.

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Static probably - earth your dust hose - run a length of bare copper wire along the inside and connect it to mains earth at the end furthest from your cnc.
    Alex.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Static has nothing to do with which circuit is involved. Dust particles rubbing the hose = you as a kid rubbing a balloon on your head to shock your friend with.
    Fast moving air and dust particles inside the hose generates a few thousand volts of static. Which when it discharges causes EMI that interferes with USB signals.

Facier dust collectors have a metal coil around the hose for the same reason. Cheap vacuum cleaners doesnt, so add your own earth wire all the way through the inside of the hose