Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Black Box Stopped Powering Motors - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by mwittl, Feb 7, 2020.

1. mwittl

mwittl New
    Builder

So, I bought a Black Box a few months back and have been successfully running X, Y and Z axis during testing. Since I'm building a plasma table, I put ferrite EMF shields on all wires yesterday (limit switches, motor wire, etc). This morning I fired everything up and none of the motors will turn. Normally when I power the system you can hear the motors 'lock' in position when they 1st get power but this morning...nothing. Jogging fails to do anything. Connection from either Openbuilds Control or Universal G-Code sender seems normal but nothing will power the motors. My question...would the EMF shields have anything to do with this or did the Black Box just go to 'Never-Never' land and installing EMF shields was just coincidental?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Any chance you chanced Grbl settings?
    Make sure $1=255 and $4=1(Enabled)

3. mwittl

mwittl New
    Builder

Thank you Peter. The $4 had toggled to 0. Setting it to 1 got me back in business! In between putting the EMF filters on and my 1st failed test...I also noted that Openbuilds Control updated to the latest version. Might that have been the reason it got toggled to 0?

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Very unlikely, the regular updates just replaces the application with a newer version.
    It will NEVER change Grbl settings on its own :) that would just be bad on us! :)

5. mwittl

mwittl New
    Builder

Very much appreciate the help and support! Live plasma test schedule for this weekend! I can't wait!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.