Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Black Box relay specs

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by D.W. Burger, Sep 3, 2020.

1. D.W. Burger

Builder

Will the relay connection on the Black Box control a 24VDC, 4.8watt solenoid?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

#2 Peter Van Der Walt, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  3. D.W. Burger

Builder

Excellent...thanks!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. nate1

nate1 New
    Builder

Hey guys I know this is an old post, but it was never actually answered . Can someone please confirm the specifications of the onboard standalone relay that is discussed in the manual at 2.1.3? This is the only post I found asking for these.

I managed to dig through the documentation and get what I believe is the part number SRD-5VDC-SL-A, but this is an offshore brand without much documentation in English.
    I found this site Ningbo Songle Relay|Ningbo Songle Relay SRD-5VDC-SL-A|Relays|LCSC
    with this datasheet https://datasheet.lcsc.com/szlcsc/1811021914_Ningbo-Songle-Relay-SRD-5VDC-SL-A_C140615.pdf

Which I think says this relay can switch up to 7A @ 250VAC, but makes no mention of DC voltage., however the images for the relay do show DC ratings.

I think I've done my due diligence in researching this topic and would like an official answer from the Openbuilds team on what this little relay is actually rated for.

I'd like to turn my dust collector on with software and want to verify before letting the magic smoke out.

FYI the dust collector is a ClearVue that is switched via contactor and separate power supply so using the coolant plug as described above is not an option. Closing the relay terminals via software will close the contactor and turn on the DC just like it does with the switches at my manual machines.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

6. nate1

nate1 New
    Builder

TLDR - I'm not trying to switch mains. I'm trying to switch 24 VAC, max 1.25A / steady 0.28A.

Ok lets try it this way. I have a Fasco H240A contactor I need to control. This contactor circuit is already powered by an external 24 VAC transformer. The contactor coil can pull up to 1.25A inrush with a steady 0.28A after cycled on. This is the exact same concept as turning on the plasma as outlined in the plasma link except I'm turning on my dust collector instead. I just need to know the rated specs of that circuit to determine if its feasible.

Your link to the coolant control using a little power strip will not work because I have a semi-real dust collector (240VAC, 21A). It doesn't plug into a NEMA15R

If I did use the coolant circuit I would have to activate another relay to then activate the contactor when the built in relay circuit is likely capable of doing it without all the redundancy. Also I'd like to use the coolant circuit to activate an air solenoid as outlined in your coolant link above.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Totally fine, relay will handle that

Please include details of any non standard equipment in your initial posts, will help avoid us making suggestions or allow us to make different suggestions. Without this information we can only assume its the usual setups after all