Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Black box laser cutter stops in middle of job

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Aaronxyzee, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Aaronxyzee

Builder

Hi
    I have a home built laser cutter running on a black box motion controller and lightburn. Works reasonably well except that on long fill jobs it stops half way through with an unlock error.
    I have two fancy 3 wire limit switches on x and y and the door safety interlock is connected directly to the laser PSU.
    Can anyone suggest why it should be failing.
    Thanks
    Aaron

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Was the alarm endstop related? Write down what the errors say, there are many potential alarms and errors. Knowing which will help us give you better advice.

Assuming false limits alarm: docs:blackbox:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation] may help

3. Jacob Christiansen

Builder

This might be a long shot, but it's possible...
    I have an ortur laser master 2 that had a similar problem on long jobs. I did a lot of google searching and found that sometimes the reason for the stop is a buildup of static electricity from all the back and forth motion. Once there is enough build up it will discharge somewhere and that causes the stop. I grounded my frame, because it was an easy solution even though I wasn't sure that was my problem. I haven't had any problems with it stopping since I grounded the frame.

Giarc likes this.