Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Black Box for OX

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Nick clarke, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Nick clarke

Builder

So, how can I fix? It was all going fine earlier and I haven't done anything, except stare a 3D print....

2. Nick clarke

Builder

Laser worked everytime on my mini mill.All I have done is transfer it to the OX. I will remove it and check....

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hard to see from here, but well, in troubleshooting the usual first question for any problem is "What changed"
    So it might be that the laser wiring has an issue (or has a noisy onboard PSU thats causing noise on the other wires)
    Or something in your setup shifted and you now have motor wires running near the USB cable, etc ? EMI can come from many sources - it's also a one off kind of thing. Rebooting will get you back to work but EMI may disconnect the port someday in the future couple hours into a job again.

4. Nick clarke

Builder

For some reason the X limit switch is lit up...

Attached Files:

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Either X Signal wire is shorting to GND or the switch itself got damaged/stuck?

6. Nick clarke

Builder

I will check that. Just disconnected everything and connected to my pc in a different room via USB only and all stable, but wouldn't connect to either of two laptops in workroom. Could 3D printer be interfering? It is 2 meters away from cnc but uses the same power extension lead...

7. Peter Van Der Walt

I doubt it, its more likely something wired to it is shorting - so when its all unplugged it works.
    plug things back one by one and see which stops it from running (incorrectly limits in particular can short the 5v rail to gnd)

8. Nick clarke

Builder

Many thanks. I will continue tomorrow now as I am tired and don't want my retirement project going up in smoke!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  9. Nick clarke

Builder

Hi folks. Wishing you all the very best for the new year! I have had a rest from trying to configure my Ox to run on Black Box but now I have re started I am still having issues. I solved the connection issue, it was a problem with the usb socket. I tries about 5 leads, 3 of them new until I got one to work, they were all loose in the socket. I finally tot a tighter fitting one and all ok in that respect. I am having problems homing. The Y limit switch does not trigger, I have tested it with a multimeter and it works but doesn't trigger the alarm. The Y axis will not home at all. It moves an inch then locks a,d an error message appears, please see photo. If I manually home, jog to bottom left of workpiece and set work zero, the job tries to start to the left and below work zero, instead of above and to the right. 20200107_154000.jpg

10. Nick clarke

Builder

Here is a video of the above homing issue. I checked wiring and pull off distance as suggested in error message to no avail. when I press limit switch, it lights up but does not show on screen.

Attached Files:

11. Peter Van Der Walt

1) confirm on Troubleshooting tab that ALL of the switches work as intended (ie OFF when not triggers and ON when it is... if any other ones are wired wrong, they may affect your Y axis homing (as Grbl checks all the switches while homing, an incorrectly wired switch may appear "stuck")
    2) make sure Homing Pull off in Gbrl is at least 10mm gnea/grbl
    3) Make sure you didn't accidentally wire your X switch to the Y input and vice versa for example. Easy to get that wrong

12. Nick clarke

Builder

Hi, many thanks. Double checked wiring, all ok. Pulloff set at 10mm but Y is showing as triggered when y carriage is nowhere near limit switch... limit switch led is off but troubleshooter says it is on...
    20200107_181914.jpg

13. Nick clarke

Builder

Is it possible to save the grbl settings to a text file?

14. Peter Van Der Walt

Wiring in some shape or form making a short :)
    Recheck all connectors for stray wires etc

15. Peter Van Der Walt

Serial Console tab > type and send "$$", copy paste the output from the Serial Log

16. Nick clarke

Builder

Hi again. I have tried replacing the limit switch on Y axis with one that I know works, (from my mini mill black box) complete with wire and plug and still the same, switch showing as on on troubleshooting screen. All that is left to try is to swap my mini mill black box for the one on the ox to see if the problem goes away. I don't really want to but I can't think of anything to try...

17. Peter Van Der Walt

Unplug everything, except USB as a quick test

18. Nick clarke

Builder

Y limit still showing as 'on'....

19. Peter Van Der Walt

1) Reach out to http://support.openbuilds.com/support/home referencing this thread's link
    2) and while you wait (check spam folder too) open it up and check around the Y axis connector as well as near the group of components behind the Z limit connector for any visible solder splashes?
    3) no other relevant history like a bad mishap while wiring, etc earlier? (just helps expedite a return if we know how it happened, so if there is relevant info, nice to include)

20. Nick clarke

Builder

Ok thanks. The only other issue was trouble getting the US B to connect, the supplied lead didn't work, it was very loose in the socket, I tries some I had already same problem, I bought 3 new leads from different sources and eventually got one that fitted snugly. Many thanks for your help. Before I forget, are you the guy that does the build videos?

21. Nick clarke

Builder

I have emailed support as suggested. I opened the case up and can see no visible signs of solder splashes etc. I have just tried connecting brains board on it's own to my computer and Y limit is still showing as on. I have attached my config file, I would be most grateful if someone could look it over incase I have made any errors.

Attached Files:

22. Peter Van Der Walt

Support will sort you out in no time!
    Settings is unlikely as Grbl handles all 3 limit inputs in one set of configs. If it was setup wrong all three would have the same issue.

23. Nick clarke

Builder

Many thanks. Re config file, I was thinking more generally as I have altered Workbee settings to suit OX but it doesn't work the same way as it did on the Duet. I have used Ox X Pro settings...

24. Nick clarke

Builder

Replacement brains board dispatched. Excellent service, many thanks!

25. Nick clarke

Builder

The board arrived Friday, many thanks. I only got it today as I have been in hospital. Excellent service!

26. Nick clarke

Builder

Partial success! All seems to work, but, job starts to far over on lefthand side, ans still having connection issues, usb drops out for no apparent reason, and still getting random error 31 messages when trying to connect. Could it be a windows 10 usb problem? 20200115_150619.jpg

27. Peter Van Der Walt

Yeah, could be Windows. Assuming you did the Selective Suspend fix from documentation? OpenBuilds BlackBox 4X Documentation

- check Usb Selective Suspend: OpenBuilds BlackBox 4X Documentation
    - try different USB cable
    - try different usb port (if you have usb2 and usb3 ports on it, usb2 is prefered) - avoid front USB ports, they sit on unshielded extensions in some PC cases
    - try a different PC
    - check EMI best practice : space power/motor wiring further from USB cables

Job starting in wrong spot: either you didnt SETZERO or the gcode is offset (fix in your CAM)

28. Nick clarke

Builder

Hi, many thanks. Set usb as you suggested, USB cable clear of power motor cables. No offset set in vetric, It has been suggested steps/mm are incorrectly set, recommendation is 53.334 on x and y, 400 on z. Currently set at 26.670 on x and y and 199.9 on z. What do you think? Don't want to alter and mess up even more....

29. Peter Van Der Walt

Steps per mm would make it larger/smaller than it should be, so is it?
    Can calibrate steps from Wizards and Tools > Calibrate

Nick clarke likes this.