Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Black Box for OX

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Nick clarke, Dec 4, 2019 at 6:11 AM.

1. Nick clarke

Builder

Hi, I have just ordered a black box for my Ox cnc, I have one on my mini mill and am so impressed with it I want to fit one on my Ox so I can run a laser as well as a spindle. Is there a firmware written up for a 500 x 750 Ox? if not how do I go about creating one?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Builder

We include predefined profiles for all the newer machines, but the Ox is sadly a little old, and a little fragmented (too many versions out there, hard to get "standard" profile.)

Luckily you can totally still use it!

OpenBuilds CONTROL -> Connect to BlackBox
    Click Grbl Settings tab
    Load the "CUSTOM" machine profile, don't click save yet (;
    Scroll down and address the important values like steps per mm, etc (github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki explains all that in great details on the Configuration page of the wiki)
    Save it to the Ox.

Use the Calculators next to the steps-per-mm fields if you need help, or use the Calibration tools under Wizards and Tools to really dial in your distances.

Then once you are basically moving, use the Grbl Settings tab again to tweak things like limit switches, or faster acceleration and max feedrates, and reverse any axes going the wrong way etc.

3. Nick clarke

Builder

Hi, many thanks. I guess as a start I could copy in the grbl profile in the Ox build manual as a start, or it has been suggested I use the belt driven Workbee profile and substitute the machine dimensions (ie XY and Z work area size). I have a Duet 2 on the Ox at the moment but I plan on using that on the D Bot I have just started...

4. Peter Van Der Walt

If your build follows the original absolutely, should be pretty close.

5. Nick clarke

Builder

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Cool, so that should get close (different belt tensions etc means you'll still need to calibrate), and its not unlikely that you may need to reverse the direction of some axes (older motors had a different color code) but for the most part that should get you started. Of course all those settings are pretty conservative (; so do spend some time tweaking