Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Black Box controler

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by jltcet, Feb 9, 2024.

1. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

When you flashed the Blackbox did you use the "and erase settings" option? If so, reload machine profile (CONTROL > Grbl Settings tab > Select machine from the list > Save and reset when prompted)

2. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Thank you Peter I was actually laying in bed thinking of the exact same thing lo and behold it works but now I can’t get it to recognize the usb flash drive with my files on it. I’ve read through some of the post but haven’t come across any helpful tips yet any pointers

thanks again for all the help, O bye the way I believe it all came down to a loose wire on the X axis and Y axis on the black box side I ran a project yesterday before starting to get the interface it worked just like it supposed to but just need to figure out this USB thing now thanks again for getting me this far

3. Peter Van Der Walt

You already have a store ticket, will check in and have them swop it out for you for the USB issue.

(; sounds familiar - see Page 1 of this thread (; oh round post #9 onwards (;

4. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Yep, Thanks again Peter for your help with everthing its very much appreciated. I got a email from OpenBuilds there sending me a new interface :) :thumbsup:. On a side note Ive been using Eseal it works for me and what I do. I wouldnt mind giving openbuilds CAM a try but is there a way to keep the thing (work area) from moving around when moving objects aound this is annoying. Ponit me in a direction for reading. Ok Ill let you know what happens with the new interface after I get it hooked up. Thanks

5. Peter Van Der Walt

It shouldn't so how are you doing it? Using the Move tool or the Transform (type values into boxes to move stuff) tool?

Are you paying attention to the bottom row explaining keyboard/mouse : It changes based on active tool:
    Select tool:
    upload_2024-3-11_19-49-48.png
    Move tool
    upload_2024-3-11_19-50-7.png
    Delete tool
    upload_2024-3-11_19-50-24.png
    etc

Plus, shouldn't really need to move stuff around as much - its mainly a CAM, positioning and drawing should really happen a step earlier in your CAD (CAD > CAM > CONTROL workflow: docs:software:overview [OpenBuilds Documentation] )

6. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Ive made a quick couple vids to show what Im talking about
    Eseal and Blackbox CAM - Google Drive
    Eseal keps it staionary when moving objects Openbuilds moves the whole area is there any way to keep it from doing this. Nevermind I get ti now after reading CAD (CAD > CAM > CONTROL workflow: docs:software:eek:verview

Thanks

7. Peter Van Der Walt

In your video (....1111425.mp4) you move one Entity, not the entire document. Select everything to move first (ctrl+a, or use the Selection tool first) then switch to Move tool

Move tool is for the artsy folk (move it till it looks right)
    I like the Transform tool more

upload_2024-3-11_20-33-33.png

8. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Heres a new one was just running a project when i noticed all of a sudden one of the Y stopped moving looked at the black box had a error code pop up (see pic) and I noticed the fan in the blackbox wasnt moving. lookes like the fan got bent and might need replacing. Would this throw a erroe code if the unit was over heating. I let it cool then reset it and it went back to normal

Attached Files:

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Yes, overheating is covered in docs:blackbox-x32:currentadjustment [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Fan must spin or it will overheat again.

Try fixing (add washer under fan screw or similar if it rubs on the top cover)

10. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

11. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Open builds sent me a new controller it works perfectly, also sent me a replacement fan for the black box
    Wanted to get you an update on everything. I believe you got me up and running again. I’ll let you know if I continue to have issues. Thanks again for all the pointer and help Peter.

#71 jltcet, Mar 13, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
    Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  12. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

I put in a set of spacers on the fan like you suggested but by the time I got it up and running they had already sent the fan

13. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

I have another question if you don’t mind answering please. Why won’t my usb drive not show up on the interface it formatted correctly FAT32 the little usb that comes with the unit registers but not my personal one I read the instructions on the interface usb but couldn’t find a reason the usb show up on my Mac and my windows computers so I know it’s readable
    Thanks

14. Peter Van Der Walt

If the included one works, its a good question. Stick to the included one for now.

Yours maybe too large or formatted incorrectly

15. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

What's the max USB size allowed Ill order a new one from Amazon today. Thanks

16. Peter Van Der Walt

Use the included drive (can check what size it is too, remember its not a PC but a microcontroller based device, small like 2GB is plenty for tonnes of gcode files - at least more than you'll want to scroll the list through)
    The chip we use inside says up to 32GB though, and must be formatted FAT32 ideally.

upload_2024-3-18_20-56-31.png

Attached Files:

17. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Say Peter just though Ide give you a update sense you were so kind to help me out.
    Everything seams to be running very smoothly now. Haven't had any issues at all sense the fix. I getting ready to rebuild the Gantry part. I noticed that sense my rig is built out of wood. it flexes a bit 2 much when plunging. So I purchased a C-Bean Gantry and plate setup all the goodies to make it work and going to mount that setup here next weekend.

Thanks again,
    Jerry T.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.