Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Black Box controler

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by jltcet, Feb 9, 2024.

1. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

I have a question (AGAIN) :D
    The other day I was cutting out a project on my CNC router, was having some issues with it but wasnt present when it was happening, so I decided to sit and wait it out to see what was going on. The project would cut out as planned then about the 3rd or so cut around it would get back to to starting point and just sit for a sec the go off in a whole diffrent direction like it was starting over or something. I shut down the computer then the router, I found a loose wire on one of the limit switches. Would this cause the machine to do this? I have sense fixed the wire and re-uploaded the orginal confiruration on the BlackBox, and ajusted the Axis. But wonder if this could have caused the issues

Thanks,
    Jerry T.

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Do you have normally closed or normally open limit switches?
    Where there any error messages?

Alex.

3. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Normally Open, I dont remember any error messages But to tell the truth I was more worries about the router digging into the wood so deep and shutting it down

4. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

I’m starting to believe it the Black Box it self. I’ll randomly run a code with out the bit on it makes one good pass then hesitates the run off in another direction of won’t even turn one of the steppers on the Y it just random, I know the code is fine because I’ve run the whole program before with no issues a few weeks ago. I just got this Black Box in December. Any ideas help please

5. Misterg

Misterg Journeyman
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

What are you using to send gcode to the Black Box?

6. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Open Builds Controller windows 7 pro computer

7. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Windows 7 may be your problem. Prior to OpenBuilds Control, what control software did you use? A couple of years back, I used it with an old Windows 7 tablet, but it was not ideal. I have moved on from attempting it with Windows 7.
    upload_2024-2-9_17-21-6.png

8. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Unfortunately my computer won’t update from windows 7 it’s worked fine up until now. I’m gonna try a different file tomorrow see if just by chance it’s corrupt some how. Planning buying the Open Builds Controller this next year after I get the Black Box paid off

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

10. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Note the section about a loose wire. Not the ordering. That article covers both. Note the presence of your symptoms in the very first section of that page. Intermittently losing connection on one of the 4 wires does exactly what you describe

jltcet likes this.
  12. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Ok That makes sense! Its always the same stepper motor on the Y axis thats doing it. Its just ramdon when it happens. Never the same time. But still dosent explain why it would make a complete pass or 2 the just stop for about 15sec then start off on a whole diffrent direction.

13. Misterg

Misterg Journeyman

What's happening on the serial console in Control when that happens? In general, the Black Box will only move things if it's told to.

14. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

it shows it’s moving and it gos threw the steps in the read out I guess you call it but it’s not moving, then all of a sudden off in another direction

15. Misterg

Misterg Journeyman

Hmm - I think that adds to the evidence for a wiring problem of some sort. If a stepper motor loses one phase it becomes unpredictable - it might not run at all, or it might run in a random direction - it could be different each time.

16. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Ok I guess Ill be tracing wires next weekend. Thanks to all for your help. I'll let you know what I come up with after compleation. Thanks again
    Jerry T.

17. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Ok I know it’s been a few weeks since I posted but was busy but this is what I found, looks like some for the wiring on one of the steppers was exposed at the solder , and would randomly touch. Sense I was doing a partial re-wire I also decided to extend the working area 200mm I will be trying it out today after I calibrated the machine a couple days ago. I’ll keep posted when able. Thanks to everyone for your help in tracking down issues

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  18. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

UPDATE** Well it wasn’t the wiring well at least it’s not the wiring now x axis still going haywire at random and every once in awhile it’s one of the Y axis I’ve done a complete re-wire job but still having issues so I’m sending the controller back for a replacement ‍ I’ll keep ya updated after a replacement is sent, I’ve only had this thing sense mid November 2023

19. Peter Van Der Walt

Unlikely the store would replace based on your symptoms. Random moves are always wiring or Grbl Settings (or occasionally 3rd party motors) and sometimes Mechanical (loose setscrews, wheel adjustment, etc) . Sadly none of which would quality as a warranty replacement (covers factory faults, not user error).

Post a Grbl Settings backup for review please
    Along with pictures of all your wiring (motors, limits, psu and any toolheads or any other connected components)

20. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Talked to open builds there saying its more then likely something to do with a fault that needs to be reset. So I ve stopped the return and will wire it back up and try there suggestions. But I dont under stand how it could run just fine for 4 months and just all of a sudden start doing this Ill get the pictures today Ill have to get the Grbl settings from the computer in the garageI just ordered the INTERFACE CNC Touch also the computer I have is old not to mention only windows 7 pro. Thanks Peter I'll get you that information later today

21. Peter Van Der Walt

Well, I am in the southern hemisphere, and the days are getting colder. Took out an extra blanket last night.
    If we apply the same to where you are, it must be getting warmer after 4 months of winter. docs:blackbox-x32:currentadjustment [OpenBuilds Documentation] might come into play, overheating now that ambient temps are higher? Check for the presence of the FAULT LED when it loses position

Interface won't solve the issues (not PC related, at least not likely)
    But do note Win7 is no longer supported for CONTROL. 10 or 11 only.

PS :) Same contact, different contact method. I was referring to the Fault LEDs mentioned in second half of docs:blackbox-x32:currentadjustment [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    Work through the PRODUCT TOUR at docs:blackbox-x32:layout [OpenBuilds Documentation] - the LEDs are at section 1(g)

22. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks Peter for you insight I know the interface wont cure the issue but been wanting one for awhile now> Think the wife will have a fit if i put the portable A/C unit near the machine :D. but to tell the truth it get over 115* or higher here in the summer So Im gonna have to cool down the machine at some point. Right now its in the mid to upper 80*. Ill get that information you requested later to day . Thanks

23. Peter Van Der Walt

Shouldn't need cooling, just set the Current correctly :)

24. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

25. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Might be a few day before I can get those pics to you. I got to hook it all back up and I work M-Thur. But will get them to you soon. But this is what I took this morning so far

Attached Files:

26. Peter Van Der Walt

You definately will want to replace that LED PSU with a proper one like our recommended Meanwell. Clean power is a must! And a bad PSU will void your BlackBox Warranty

The unfiltered Endstops can cause a lot of EMI issues, we recommend the filtered Xtension limits docs:blackbox-x32:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation]

It appears to be 3rd party motors too, check their electrical specs. If they aren't as good as ours, you may have to dial down speeds and acceleration significantly. 3-6v coils (lower is better), 1-2mH (lower is better) ideally. Higher inductance or coil voltage will affect top speed and acceleration respectively.

As its 3rd party motors, check all wiring too: docs:blackbox-x32:faq-identify-motor-coils [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Your USB cable is running right parallel in one of those pics. Add some distance: docs:blackbox-x32:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Dust extraction has a black hose - so probably not a conductive/earthed hose: docs:blackbox-x32:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation] - could be source of EMI issues too

27. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

I gave you the specs on the motors awhile back in a drffrent post just before I was talked into BlackBox. If I knew how to find old post but let me see what I can do I belive you said they were fine for my application

28. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Ok I found the thred I made back in November about the steppers and your reply

Your reply
    So quick google on the 57hs56-3004a08-d21

Voltage (3) is good, will accelerate nicely
    Current (4) is good too, BlackBox will do fine with this one
    Inductance (6) is a little on the high end - will be a little lower on top speed than our motors. But as you already have them, I would say use them. Just keep in mind you may need to drop Max Rate on these about 10-15% from our profile defaults

Attached Files:

29. Peter Van Der Walt

And did you adjust your parameters accordingly? Might just be too aggresive on the Grbl Settings. If you did, try even lower (half current values)

Or the motor itself might be faulty (loose connection inside)

30. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

To be honest I thinko_O I did but not sure!! But let me get it all hooked back up. And Ill get back with you with more pics and videos in needed as for the PSU (REALLY) I though being from Stepper it would be a good one If I need to replace that :( Daaaaaame! I just placed the Dust extraction setup on there havent even had a chance to use it yet so I can fix that.