Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Black Box controler

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by jltcet, Feb 9, 2024.

1. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Been looking at the Meanwell power supplies. I cant justify 18.00 shipping from OPenBuilds put it over 100.00 just for a power supply there other sipping options out there that are not so expensive. So I was looking at the same brad (Meanwell) in the 24Volt and found this. Or if you have any other suggestions on a diffrent power supply thats not so expensive . Amazon carry alot of Meanwell power supplyes

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

They also carry NVVV, Meamwell, Mean_well, WEHO and MW. Be Careful!

No more counterfeit! MEAN WELL is determined to fight for the trademark and intellectual property -MEAN WELL Switching Power Supply Manufacturer
    There are lots of cheap counterfeits! Fight that - by going through authorised distributors like Digikey, RS, Mouser, etc if you can't get it from us.

Your's logo doesn't look like the Meanwell logo at all! NVVV might look like MW if you throw no care into looking, but I can promise you the dirty power that thing will kick out will screw up the Blackbox!

upload_2024-3-5_18-25-16.png

versus

[​IMG]

Saving that $18 will cost you a $239 BlackBox not being covered under warranty. We do take note of purchase history if damage seems to be PSU related. Oh and believe me we see the fair share of cheap PSU damages! Piles of them.
    The official Meanwell LRS350 is still the one we'd recommend, but PLEASE! purchase legit man!

We've stuck tens of other PSUs on the bench here, oscilloscoping them out under load - and we cannot find any we are as happy with as that particular Meanwell. Built in EMI filtering on the mains side, lightning fast overcurrent shutdown, no ripple, no overshoot on startup or overload or extended load. Its just filled to the brim with filtering components that the cheapies think you can "do without" - fine for running a couple LED strips. Not fine for running an expensive controller.

Or, you'll have to accept that becomes an even more unlikely possibility. It needs good clean power. It needs a PSU that is EMI compliant (properly tested, not bribed certificates or no certification at all just printed logos counterfeit style).

3. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Ok I understand your point. Just saying 18.00 FedEx is outragious compared to USPS ground advantage but its not offered for that but it was offered for other items dosent make sense to me

4. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

5. Peter Van Der Walt

A whole lot better thanks! :)

Did you check on your

Acceleration and Max Rate for the Motor issue yet? If changing the settings doesn't help, might still have an intermittent connection/winding issue inside the motor

6. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

I still need to hook it backup first was hoping so today I had to oeder more sheild cable for limit switches

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  7. Peter Van Der Walt

Sweet just making sure we cover all your bases. PSU is more about preventing damage, those motors issues still feel more like a loose connection. With settings because its 3rd party specs a likely possibility too.

8. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

They dont have issues when just jogging the maching or homing the machine only when running a project, and only recently. Sorry Still ahavent' had time to wire the box back up keep hoping for some time my work is getting ready for a big project and its keeps pulling me in to help out, but will get them soon.

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Jogging is usually short distance unlike a long G0 move happening at Max Rate (G0 moves don't have a programmable feedrate, they honor Max Rate, see Grbl Wiki), and Homing is usually relatively slow (Honoring Homing Feed and Homing Seek rates in Grbl Settings)
    So still could be Max Rate or Acceleration set too aggresively

10. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Ok I just wnet down and wired the black bock back up Im unable to wire the limits on the X or Z just yet Im waitning on new sheild cable to get here this week, also didnt wire the PSU in yet because waiting on new one to get here this week. Ive took the cover off and took pic of the inside wiring. Iven never had a issue at all with the limit switches. Also inclueded a pick of the project I was working on before this all started. As you can see somewhere in the process near the begining of the project the X Axis decidd to stop working. Its still salvagable sense it was so close to the start> Ill get a copy of the back up soon. with in a hr or so

Attached Files:

11. Peter Van Der Walt

upload_2024-3-6_20-56-54.png

Looks like one pulling out a bit there, might be loose, or inserted under (not into) the moving cage inside the terminal (lower cage, insert wire, tighten screw to lift up the cage which then clamps it)

And that happens to be the X-axis port... So that might be where it is

12. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

13. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

14. Peter Van Der Walt

15. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

heres a pic of what the X axis did to my project I started its salvagable

Attached Files:

16. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

The New PSU will be here tomorrow Ill get it hooked up send more pics I figue if im still having issues Ill replace the X axis stepper first as like you said probably a bad wire internaly. Ill keep you informed.

17. Peter Van Der Walt

Solid plan

18. Peter Van Der Walt

Just keep in mind we aren't expecting the PSU to resolve your motor issues. PSU is to get clean safe power to prevent blowing up the Blackbox :)

19. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Yep I got it. I already bought a new X stepper same make and modle for now. It didn't cost me anything Amazon just sent me a replacement

20. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Ok got the new PSI mounted and everything looks green across the board except for the interface it won’t display anything (see pics) I did a update been trying to follow the instructions but no this displays am I missing something

Attached Files:

21. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

22. Peter Van Der Walt

Did you try updating Interface firmware? Perhaps had it on the wrong tab? Flashed BlackBox firmware onto Interface? Try reflashing Interface from CONTROL > Wizards and Tools > Firmware flashing tool > Interface tab per instructions on docs.openbuilds.com/interface

Other reason for white display like that is usually a hard fall or smash breaking the LCD itself

23. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Made sure your new PSU is set for 120vac mains? switch on the side

24. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Yep did that thank you.

25. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

26. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

nope nothing happened, still just a blank screen it did up date I used the USB method because I couldn’t see the screw, I’ve contact Openbuilds for information possible return replacement

27. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Ok this is becoming quite frustrating now my black box is not hooking up to computer, well is registers but nothing is working now

Attached Files:

28. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

The interface decided to give some sort of data now but still won’t hook up

Attached Files:

29. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Ok so now it’s working sort of can’t seam to get it to move it makes noise like it wants to but gonna have to read more about it any help thanks

Attached Files:

30. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Ok I put the little usb in and ran it in test mode it all checked out but when I try and jog the machine nothing happens, I notice on the black box when I hit the and of the axis buttons this light goes out then back on

Attached Files: