Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Better Dust Boot

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by CKerv, Jun 17, 2021.

1. CKerv

CKerv New
    Builder

Hello. I'm looking for a adjustable depth dust boot which will connect to the z axis gantry cart, not the router. The one I'm using right now attached to the router and moves up and down with the router. When doing deep cuts, the bristles actually provide enough vertical resistance to prevent the bit from plunging to the appropriate depth.

If any one can suggest a product or a custom build, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

2. Torin3

Torin3 Well-Known
    Builder

Something like this?

3. CKerv

CKerv New
    Builder

Yes! That thing is sweet. Although, I don't need anything that intense :) Looking for something manually adjustable which could bolt onto extrusion rail.

upload_2021-6-17_7-55-52.png

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The basis for what you are seeking was brought to popularity with a Kickstarter campaign several years ago. Winston gives a good explanation below.

A similar concept can be found here:

There is a simpler version where the side plates have vertical slots in them for thumb screws that go directly into t-nuts in the V-slot but I haven't been able to put my finger on it. If I come across it I'll post.

CKerv likes this.