Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Belt to threaded rod drive

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by CKerv, Nov 29, 2020.

1. CKerv

CKerv New
    Builder

Could someone help my figure out the appropriate parts needed to switch from my current belt drive system to a threaded rod system? See attached photos.

It seems that there is slack in the belt drive system. I've tightened multiple times, but think that it is just time to upgrade. I'd like to reuse the stepper motors (MT-2303HS280AW-OB). My goal is to be able to cut 3/4" baltic birch in one pass. Do you think this motors are beefy enough. I'll provide an appropriate router.

Attached Files:

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Looks somewhat like a version of the Ox. You will probably not find "off the shelf" parts that will easily fit. Here is one way. OX-Metal CNC Router Mill. I would avoid using 3D printed parts though. Aluminum plate and aluminum angle could be substituted.
    Here is another Ox that was modified to lead screws. OX-Metal CNC Router Mill
    and this one is one I built based inspired by the Frog build above. ACME OX (A Lead Screw Driven Ox Derivative (850x1500)) Mine was build with the lead screws under tension (pre-Tingle :rolleyes:). But now OpenBuilds sells the proper Thrust Bearing for a tensioning system and the 8mm lead screws and antibacklash nut blocks are readily available. Since you have a CNC already, cutting the custom aluminum plates should be easy.

sharmstr likes this.
  3. CKerv

CKerv New
    Builder

Thanks Giarc! It's a RoutaKit kit. Sadly they don't seem to be around anymore, or at least not responsive :(

Do you think my current Nema 23 steppers will be strong enough?
    They are 1.8deg per step. Is that compatible with the 8mm lead screws?
    What is the name of the bearing at both ends of the lead screws? Are these available through OpenBuilds?

upload_2020-11-29_20-35-58.png

Thanks a lot for your help!

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Those are not available at Openbuilds. They are not the proper bearings for tensioning the rods. I would design around the Thrust bearings I linked above. Those are the 175 oz motors. I used one on my Z axis, but the others are more powerful. I do not know how large your machine is, or how heavy the combined weight of the gantry and z axis are. You can always try them and see since you already own them. They should work. They are compatible, but you will need shaft couplers, lock collars, washers, and 40mm aluminum spacers to attach the motors to the screws. You will need to design your own custom plates. Look at the Sketchup model for some of the existing designs to get an idea of the components you will need. Or, actually the sketchup model for mine would be the closest to what you need. It is in the files section. However, I did not model every screw and nut needed. My sketchup skills were (and still are) lacking.

sharmstr likes this.
  5. CKerv

CKerv New
    Builder

My machine will require a 2000mm screw for the X. Open Builds does not seem to offer this size, do you know where I could find it? Do you think I'll have any issues using screws this long?