Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Beginner build questions

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by opus633, Jan 17, 2018.

1. opus633

opus633 New
    Builder

I am a retired computer electronics teacher with an interest in woodworking. I have acquired 3 NEMA steppers, an arduino and driver shield. I am designing a 30 x 30 cnc router because I cannot find a set of plans that seem complete. (mainly part and drilling templates). I do not have any way to cut metal. So my material will be MDF. Is there a book or website that talks about how to set up the electronics and open source software. I am about done with the design and ready for the build. Any suggestions (including plans) appreciated

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If you are using GRBL read this Home · gnea/grbl Wiki · GitHub All of it...a couple times...refer to it often. I have been up and running with mine for almost two years and still look at that wiki a couple times a month. Most questions can be answered by it. It tells you how to do everything and lists several common opensource software packages to control it. Or, check out Estlcam.de 2D / 3D CAM Software und CNC Steuerung.... I plan to convert to it and buy the full version because it does some cool stuff, particularly the probing.

3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I built my OX from MDF
    https://openbuilds.com/builds/the-nguni-an-ox-variant.2752/
    Despite the build log being a bit behind it is now up and running and busy making parts for itself like drilling holes for TNuts in the spoil board. Now I have to order Tnuts online because none of the hardware stores in this backwater have them.

on this page https://openbuilds.com/builds/openbuilds-ox-cnc-machine.341/ there a 2 videos.
    Watch Part 2 for the electronics setup though I recommend using GRBLPanel or Candle for the GUI (that video is a little old now in that GRBL has been updated to 1.1 which has a new protocol so you need the latest GUI, some of them have not been updated to the new protocol).
    Releases · gerritv/Grbl-Panel · GitHub
    Releases · Denvi/Candle · GitHub

and of course get the latest GRBL from
    GitHub - gnea/grbl: An open source, embedded, high performance g-code-parser and CNC milling controller written in optimized C that will run on a straight Arduino
    and follow Compiling Grbl · gnea/grbl Wiki · GitHub for the install.

For generating your first Gcode I suggest Sketchup + SketchUcam
    Releases · swarfer/sketchucam · GitHub
    and watch these

PS your table saw with a carbide blade will cut aluminum just fine. Wear ear and eye protection! (-:

4. opus633

opus633 New
    Builder

wow ! thanks to all of you!