Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Batxillerat Research Project: Design and construction of a CNC

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Pol Feliu, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Pol Feliu

Pol Feliu Well-Known
    Builder

Pol Feliu published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Seul Kee

Seul Kee Well-Known
    Builder

Hi, Pol!

I am also a new OpenBuilder living in Busan, South Korea. (I have been to your
    city once about 10 years ago and I had a great time!)

I just begun to work on my 4' x 4' OX-like CNC router which I hope to finish by
    the end of July. :D

That is why I am keenly interested in your CNC build. (Especially with respect to
    your Arduino-based solution.)

I originally wanted to use Arduino and some shields together with LinuxCNC.

After many sleepless nights, however, I ended up choosing EdingCNC's CPU5A4
    control board and its free control software. It is awesome that you designed the
    motor control board yourself!

Come to think of it, I should have posted my build like you and others did. But
    I must admit that I was lazy as well as busy. :nailbite: I will do sooner or later, though!

Best luck for your CNC build!

Tae

#2 Seul Kee, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  3. Pol Feliu

Pol Feliu Well-Known
    Builder

Thankyou! I've just finished building the board, and haven't tested yet. I hope it will work!

I was lazy about it too. Now I'm kind of stucked and i don't have much work to do because the components from the part store are taking a while...

4. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Builder

Welcome to OpenBuilds @Pol Feliu ! The work sheet that you put together looks great and we look forward to your builds :thumbsup:
    Mark

5. JerryD

JerryD New
    Builder

Nice Build, I'm designing something similar. Any deflection issues with the tall gantry supports?

6. Pol Feliu

Pol Feliu Well-Known
    Builder

Hello Jerry. I haven't done more updates on this post (haven't had the time). Since then i changed the dremel to a laminate trim router that works better but it is heavier. It is more stiff than it looks but it could be defnitly better. Long story short: if you have the money, time and resources go for a water/plasma cut plate like the OX routers, if you don't and use a small spindle/router like i do and want the flexibility to change the height of the y axis this is great.

I've been meaning to change it but not because it doesn't work well, but rather because i would like to move on to a nice silent watercooled spindle.

Lots of things have changed, hope i find some time to write them down.

7. JerryD

JerryD New
    Builder

Thanks for the insight, Pol. I'll consider the OX plates, the only issue is Z-axis travel. Most of them have minimal travel ranges of 4-6". I'm looking to get a max of 12-16" depending on how I mount the machine to the table. 90% of anything I do at that height will be soft wood etching, laser etching, or 3D printing so it's not like the machine will be under harsh forces like cutting wood or aluminum. I would like to have the ability to cut wood an aluminum if I need to and in that case I could lower the gantry to as low as practical. It's looking more like building two machines may be the best option. If I had the room for two machines that would help, lol!

Thanks again!
    -J

8. Pol Feliu

Pol Feliu Well-Known
    Builder

You could make some tall plates. What i mean is that they must be worth it because its more simple since the wheels and the y gantry mount directly to it.

If you get them custom made i suggest you make several holes so that you can adjust the height to the table if you needed. That would be very cool. With this most of the Z axis would be unused but its not a problem since you'd be using the stiffer part of it

9. JerryD

JerryD New
    Builder

I like that idea. I've also considered making a portion of the table and spoil board removable (open to the floor) so I could drop in tall work pieces when I need to.

10. Pol Feliu

Pol Feliu Well-Known
    Builder

watch frank howarth's vertical table on his old cnc video.
    Its very cool, but for jointery i still think a pantorouter is better.