Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Ballscrews - Threaded or not

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by AlexHP, Jul 31, 2016.

1. AlexHP

AlexHP New
    Builder

Hi! I'm a newbie and I'm in the process of completing my first CNC design. I've decided to use ballscrews to drive my linear motion. While doing some research I ran across Threadless Ballscrews (or Rolling Ring Drives) and dug into it some more. It appears these can be used in CNC applications. One company (Amacoil) has one available that has an allowable axial thrust capacity of 450lbs. Seeing as I am new at this, I don't know if that's good or bad. I'm trying to make a CNC machine that I can use as a router, for wood and such, as well as for milling metal, like aluminum. Firstly, is this a viable component for use in the design I am working on, and secondly, is a device capable of handling 450lbs in axial force good enough for said design? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Alex...

2. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

What you need to ask yourself is, is it worth the cost?

3. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

450 is more than enough. Youd likely be okay in the 50-100lb range. You still have to go through the entire system though.
    Consider what you want to machine, the spindle and type/size of the tooling the spindle can accomodate, the tool manufacturers starting feeds and speeds suggestions, the feed forces required (and altered based on the spindle output and tool combination), then the drive system motors output at the contact surface diameter of the drive components because there's no point in having a component capable of delivering up to 450lbs of thrust with motors that'll stall out at 50lbs in action. Then you have to have the right drivers for those motors.
    This will ballpark you.
    To dive in deeper I recommend starting with this read from the zone. Then wandering off from there.
    Cutting Force During Milling

Imho, this system, while cool, is overkill for a hobbyist machine. I'm betting you can find a set of Chinese ballscrews for a third of the cost or less. Let me know what they quote you. I'm pretty sure this will cost. Now, if you're putting this on a flimsy machine with subpar components then it'll be worse than putting DUB rims on a dodge neon (US auto). I'm not telling you how to spend your money. I just see some of that dough being spent elsewhere. However, if your lucky enough to have 10k or less laying around burning a hole in your pocket to through at a one of a kind DIY CNC machine that'll plow through aluminum then go ahead and inbox me. I'll be glad to work with you on design and do your modeling and prints :D
    Now if you're financially handicapped like most of us and cost is of concern then the C-beam is capable of milling aluminum. The C-beam XL mechanical bundle is on its way. If you paired that with the DQ542MA drivers in the store along with a mach system ($150 license, old win7 or xp pc, and $20 breakout board ) then you would most likely be a very happy camper with the results.

Good luck Alex. Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

Joe

Btw, accuracy of that system "depends on controls".
    Likely requiring a closed loop system. $$$
    I'm not entirely sure you would be able to have two of these run side by side on an overhead gantry system at the same constant with just a home touch off. probably need closed loop servos or closed loop steppers. That's pricey stuff.

GrayUK likes this.
  4. AlexHP

AlexHP New
    Builder

Well, I just got a quote from Amacoil on one of their linear drive nuts and it runs well over $300. So I guess ballscrews it is...

Joe Santarsiero likes this.
  5. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Contact Solarjean on eBay. You can probably get a whole set with ends for that much. Shipping takes forever though.

6. AlexHP

AlexHP New
    Builder

Thanks!

7. AlexHP

AlexHP New
    Builder

Not finding a Solarjean with any items to sell on eBay. The only on I find is listed as being in the UK but is not listing any items. Can you get me a link I can follow up on? Thanks.

8. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

9. AlexHP

AlexHP New
    Builder

Thanks! That worked.