Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Arduino Camera Slider help.

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by GrantYoung, Mar 2, 2015.

1. GrantYoung

Builder

The history of my slider build is a bit long but basically I started building with a buddy for a full automated timelapse slider using an Arduino UNO and a load of coding. I was to build it, and he was to code it. We've lost contact over time and the build is stagnant.

I've come to terms with it not being what I initially wanted, but I'd love it to at least have a speed control and back/forth movement. Would anyone be willing to help me out if I share my hardware options and such? I realize I'm asking a lot, and I've tried learning coding...trust me, but I was tasked with building for a reason haha.

I can even send the code that I do have to see where we made it before things went stale. ANY help is greatly appreciated. I could do a lot of good with this for video work.

2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

You're in luck! If all you want is the basics, I already did all the work for you here: http://openbuilds.com/threads/dslr-video-slider.648/ - links to the GitHub repository and all that stuff are in the build write-up.

I tried to comment everything fairly thoroughly, so it should be reasonably straightforward to follow.

MaryD likes this.
  3. GrantYoung

Builder

Hey Rob, sorry for the slow response. I have found your tutorial previously. I'm going to attempt making this next week (well, I'll be ordering next week) and if you would be open to a few questions, I'd greatly appreciate it! I understand my NEMA17 probably won't pull my DSLR vertically, and probably not even my GoPro. I have found also a DC motor version, do you have thoughts on that method? I was thinking of using something such as this (http://www.amazon.com/HOSSEN®-Mini-...=UTF8&qid=1427829023&sr=1-3&keywords=DC+Motor) but not sure it would lift either. I'd love to have at least a bit of strength behind this thing.

Would something like a 3S LiPo battery (11.1 volts) be useful in building this? It's a small power plant with a ton of power. I'm lost on the electronics side, sadly. I was in charge of the mechanics and hardware sourcing!

4. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

I doubt the OpenBuilds NEMA 17 would have any issues pulling a GoPro vertically. The trick to pulling vertically is counterweighting, not raw motor power, like in elevators. Converting torque to pulling force is just a case of knowing what the diameter of your toothed pulley is.

9V is fine for horizontal DSLR motion and GoPro motion. A 3S LiPo pack should be plenty of power.

Larry McFarling likes this.