Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Another Grbl interface - cncjs

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by John Meikrantz, Dec 10, 2015.

1. John Meikrantz

John Meikrantz Well-Known
    Builder

I've had a chance to mess with another web based grbl interface that I discovered on github - cncjs. cheton/cnc.js · GitHub

It's a bit like chilipeppr, but runs locally. I have made a few suggestions to the developer, which he has turned around pretty quickly.

Runs nicely on RPi, with remote browser.

I haven't tried any kind of stress tests to see what overall performance would be like.

-- John

2. Sonny Jeon

Sonny Jeon Well-Known
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Very nice! Thanks for sharing this find. It looks to be well done. I would love to see this integrated into bCNC's powerful backend somehow. I'll see if I can drum up some interest.

3. John Meikrantz

John Meikrantz Well-Known
    Builder

Cool. Cheton has been very responsive to suggestions that I have made for enhancements. I really like bCNC, but a remote web interface suits my workflow better (vs VNC to RPi for running bCNC).

4. Michael Dwyer

Builder

@John Meikrantz
    I just finished building an OpenBuilds MiniMill. I started out using GRBL panel from a Windows PC and had no problems. I then tried CNCjs from the same Windows PC and had no problems. My end goal was to migrate to a Raspberry Pi using CNCjs, but I have had no luck with getting it to startup after typing the command “cnc” at the command line prompt. I get no errors, but it just sits there doing nothing. I followed the github Raspberry Pi Setup Guide explicitly. Does anyone have a clue what could be causing the freeze up after typing “cnc” to start it?

P.S. I’m not a programmer, so I have to trust the Raspberry Pi Setup Guide is providing the correct commands and I do recognize the # in front of some lines meant they were comments.

Thanks,
    Michael Dwyer

5. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

Did you try "cnc -v" (verbose) to see if there were any messages? (I don't have a raspberry pi, but I have some experience with Linux.)

6. Michael Dwyer

Builder

No messages. It just hangs there in a frozen state.

7. Michael Dwyer

Builder

By some strange luck, I think I figured it out. Although I installed everything from a CLI, I switched to the GUI, typed http://:8888/ in chromium and was able to start CNCjs and make a connection to my controller board. I shut it down and returned to the CLI to stop PM2 and reset it to start on port 8888 (port 8000 was not working for me). I also reset the iptables to redirect port 80 to port 8888. I rebooted my pi and went directly to chromium and typed http://:8888/ again. I was able to start CNCjs and open a connection to my controller without any problems.

Scotty Orr likes this.
  8. Michael Dwyer

Builder

It should have said "typed http://<hostname>:8888/

9. Michael Dwyer

Builder

It actually wasn't in a frozen state. The server had started, but I didn't know it.