Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

An Open Source CNC Experiences

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by KCollins, Apr 4, 2021.

1. KCollins

KCollins New
    Builder

I wanted to ask a question regarding a certain open source CNC. However I am getting error messages that will not allow me to post it. It is claiming the post resembles spam. So I'm not sure how to ask the question so it will post.

The CNC in question starts with a W and ends with a bee.

Anyway I'm curious about your experiences with the machine. Is it as accurate as the descriptions and specs say?

Also what have you used for Spindles / Routers? and how have they performed?

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I've had one (from Ooznest) for over two years. I have a (Chinese clone) Makita palm router which has performed very well. I haven't done any upgrades to the machine and can machine mdf, softwood, hardwood, plastics, aluminium, brass and even mild steel (metals a bit slowly). Ooznest claim an accuracy of +/- 0.2 mm - I routinely achieve +/- 0.1 mm or better - the machine (like all those based on aluminium extrusions) is more rigid in the corners. Weak point, but only really an issue if you put an over powered spindle on it, is the X axis C-beam can twist if you push it beyond it's design limits. There are some advantages to using a spindle (and some disadvantages) rather than a palm router, but there really is no point going much above 800 watts - 1.5Kw is the practical limit in my opinion and that is more than any realistic cutting action needs.
    Feel free to ask a specific question if that doesn't tell you what you wanted to know.
    Alex.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Paste the errors in a text file and add as Attachment. Weird text in the message body will look suspect

4. KCollins

KCollins New
    Builder

Alex thanks a ton. Just what I was looking for. Several questions remain and tons more if I decide to build it. I'm looking at going with SPAM as the price point is a lot better than the Ooznet. But I fear the quality is going suffer because of it. One question is how has those Xtreme V-Wheels held up over time? Any flattening or other performance issues. I'm also curious to know more regarding the x-axis limitations. I'm struggling finding a suitable router for it. I don't want it underpowered but sounds like I could overdo it too. So... Please feel free to elaborate on you router specs and your experiences with the V-Wheels.

5. KCollins

KCollins New
    Builder

I didn't capture the error message to post it Peter sorry.

6. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Do check carefully the shipping and import duties when calculating the cost. I have to say I have helped far more people with machines from SPAM than from other suppliers - a particular issue has been customer support - some say its fine, others say it is almost non-existent. I do know Ooznest have an excellent reputation for helping people set things up and solving problems when they arise.
    My own experience with the V-wheels is that after over two years of regular use they are showing no signs of wear, but I have a version 1 machine and there have been design changes since I got mine and Ooznest now use less wheels - I don't know what effect (if any) that has on wear.
    Ooznest source as many parts as possible from the UK or, as an official Openbuilds reseller, they use genuine Openbuilds parts.
    My router is 750 watts - I haven't had any issues with the X C-beam, but some people think they need a heavy (which can cause deflection of the C-beam) and very powerful spindle. If you look at speeds and feeds calculators some specify the power requirements for different bits and toolpaths - for the tools and jobs you are likely to be doing on a machine of this type none of the calculators I've looked at say you need more power than a palm router can provide (about 800 Watts).
    It would help us to advise whether the workbee, or a similar machine, would meet your needs if you could describe the sort of jobs you envisage doing.
    The Makita palm router is an excellent match for the workbee - right weight, appropriate power and it has a lower bottom speed than many others. It also has a good reputation for brush and bearing life. Mine is not a genuine Makita, but after over two years of use I haven't yet changed the brushes. The spindle the collet fits into is beginning to show signs of wear, but I have been pushing the machines capabilities with cutting materials like steel. The workbee took it in its stride, but I suspect my Chinese clone of the Makita may have been made from lesser materials than the genuine one would be.

Alex.

#6 Alex Chambers, Apr 4, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  7. KCollins

KCollins New
    Builder

I plan to mostly work in hardwoods. I'd like to do a lot of inlay so accuracy is a must. I would probably do quite a bit of softwood to...

8. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

In this case a 800W spindle will be more than enough.

Alex Chambers likes this.
  9. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I have to agree with @JustinTime - too much weight, or too much power, will affect accuracy, and you really don't need much power for the relatively light cuts you will be using for inlay work.
    For softwood work you have the disadvantages of the material - apart from the risk of chipping bits out - it tends to "give" a bit against the cutter - leaving a small amount of stock and running a finishing path helps.
    Alex.

10. KCollins

KCollins New
    Builder

I am sooooo glad I found you guys. This is a huge help. So define an 800W spindle. I had read that I wanted to look at amps when it came to routers. The higher the better with EVS and IFS if possible along with soft start. Now when you're speak of a spindle are you talking more along the lines of the air and liquid cooled cnc spindles or are you referring to routers or both?

Do you have some examples?

11. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

I was talking about spindles. Check AliExpress for '800W spindle'.

12. KCollins

KCollins New
    Builder

What kind of feed rates do you get with your 800w spindle Justin? I had tried a 500w air cooled spindle on my current CNC and was very un-happy with it's performance. I'm interested in your thoughts on the 800w.

13. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

I have a 1.5kw spindle, I never use it at full 100%. I always run it at about 70% but I do this for the RPMs not for the power. If I had to buy a new spindle it would be the 800w. I run my machine at about 2500mm/min with no problems.

14. KCollins

KCollins New
    Builder

wow Justin I would love to run that fast. I'd even be happy with half that fast. But you're saying the 1.5kw is overkill? I was going to ask about a 2.5kw but now I'm gathering that would be way too much. Is your spindle liquid or air cooled?

15. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

Air cooled