Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Alignment issues with 15 degree bit

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by WildCreaturesWorkshop, Jul 6, 2021.

1. WildCreaturesWorkshop

Builder

ok, so I finally ran enough tests to think I was confident enough to try my first inlay board.

I am carving into a Walnut end grain chopping board. I tested all my depth settings and they worked great on the test run. I also ran my clear path perfectly, but....

I began the path with an Amana 45611 K bit - which began perfectly, it lined up with the clear sections and was putting the right angle on the carve for the inlay. Then, I had a v vector error. This stopped the job, so I fixed the issue, re-export the file minus the parts already carved. The job looked ok.

As it continued, I noticed that the alignment was off (see pic)

Where there should have been a smooth angle on the inside of the letters it was not smooth and the bit seemed to make a pass about 1mm to the right of where it should be. As the large letters were carved it was more apparent the positioning was off. Needless to say I'm pretty disappointed because it has taken me a long time to work to this point.

What I think may have happened is:

1. I had to stop the job and then when I re-probed the bit it was slightly different - my issue with this particular tool is that it has a flat side, so in order to get the probe to read it properly I have to turn it to the curved side as it touched each of the sides of the probe. So, this may have given me a slightly different reading, I didn't notice it and then well - bad alignment.

2. somehow my machine's x axis has give in it - I have tightened everything and made sure it's aligned. I will run the wizard on it as well to make sure it's travelling distances properly.

3. I need to lower the speed again - currently Im running at about 75% for the feed and jog. The router - a Dewalt DWP 611 was running between the 4 and 5 setting.

Please have a look at the pic - you will see it had cut jagged on the inside of the 'O' and the '4' and isn't smooth as well as it being too far left.

Thank you for all your help and coming suggestions :)

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

No need to reprobe X and Y when changing a bit. Probing/Zeroing relates to the Centerline of the tool.

WildCreaturesWorkshop likes this.
  3. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Don't probe X and Y with the bit - use an accurate rod. X and Y are set at the centre of the bit, so having set X and Y you just need to probe Z with the bit.
    Alex.

WildCreaturesWorkshop likes this.
  4. WildCreaturesWorkshop

Builder

Thanks, I didn't know that. Makes sense now I think about it.