Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Affixing v-channel to wood?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Portyguls, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Portyguls

Portyguls New
    Builder

Hi there,

the answer is likely something I've just overlooked but after some looking I cannot find a
    good solution, so I'm gonna ask.

Is there a way to attach the end of a piece V-channel to a piece of wood? Unistrut has brackets
    and the like for doing so (see: attached jpg) , The best I've come up with so far for V-channel is:

drilling through the back of the post/board
    running one or more bolts through the post /board
    Attaching the bolt(s) to a T-nut that's mounted in a horizontal piece of channel
    Attach the end of a second piece of V-channel to the first piece by using a 90 degree joiner plate.

Which, (while I'm sure it'd be as secure) seems like a hack instead of a solution.

I can go rummage through hardware catalogs and find something that'll do, but
    I was hoping to find something in-house if I could.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

There are a couple of options here. One would be using the adjustable angle connectors.

bracket.jpg

As a variation of the concept shown above, the top piece of extrusion could be replaced with a piece of flat aluminum bar anchored into the top hole in the vertical extrusion and supported by the brace. This would provide a more hidden look similar to the example you provided.

Another option would be to cutting the ends of the diagonal support at an angle to fit flush against the vertical and horizontal pieces and using the bendable Makerlink connectors at both ends of the bottom slot into the connecting extrusion.

MaryD likes this.
  3. Portyguls

Portyguls New
    Builder

The makerlink connectors are neat!

I'm looking for something more petite than the dimensions given on the example (my apologies). After looking at the makerlink connectors, I found the 20mm angle
    brackets at the Openbuild store, which eventually led to a 40x40 mm corner brace from a different supplier. (See pic) They're not perfect, but for supporting a
    piece of 20x40 or 40x40 V-channel, they should do.

Attached Files:

4. Portyguls

Portyguls New
    Builder

Sorry, I didn't actually properly reply to your comment.

The quandry I was facing was "How do I (efficiently) attach the end of a piece of V-channel to a wall, board, or column?"

The vertical riser you're showing in the adjustable connector sketch will work. I could lay the piece of channel on top and (once attached), it won't move.
    The issue would then be: "How do I (efficiently) attach the vertical riser (shown in the sketch) to a wall, board or column?"

(edit: removed an 's' to make "issue" singular instead of plural.)

5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Whenever possible I try to hide the screw in the channel side facing the wall. Start with a screw with a head size that is large enough to grip the inside edges of the channel. Drill the screws into the wall and slide the channel down over them. Then drill small access holes in the center of the extrusion such that you can feed the screwdriver through to finish tightening the screw to the wall. There are obviously limitations to this method due to differing wall types and various magnitudes of loads. Only you can determine what is viable in your situation. You may be limited to using a more brute force method of using visible wall clips.

Portyguls likes this.