Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Advise Please.. Stepper as a light duty lathe spindle motor?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Jon Curtis, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Jon Curtis

Builder

Hello all..
    I am brand new to this and would like some advise..

project:
    I want to build a light duty lathe to polish and clean pool cue shafts.. Simplicity and costs are concerns.. This lathe will be located in a retail environment so I will need to make it look good and operate.. due to aesthetics and cost I was wondering if it is possible to use a stepper motor as the spindle motor for the lathe ? Will a constant rpm damage the motor ? could heat become an issue ? I would like to make it variable speed.... the highest rpm would probably be around 2500 rpm..

My idea is to use v-slot as the rail.. mounted on HDPE ( 1 inch thick ) ..

Thanks in advance

J

2. Christian Knüll

Builder

Hi,

Stepper motors are nice for very low rpm - but 2500 is far too much for most.
    The usual rpm range is 0 to about 500 rpm with usual, not too expensive electronics.

Christian

3. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

You might want to look into servo motors instead of steppers. The torque a stepper is able to produce also drops as RPM increases, servo motor would be a much better choice. They come in the same frame sizes Nema 34 etc... they're designed to spin at a much faster rate and usually have gear or belt reduction units attached to operate as motion control for CNC's. They're designed for constant operations and they do get a bit hot, just put a good heavy CPU fan/heat sink on it. You can get them with just the driver, motor, and control board just do a quick search on Ebay...

You also could adapt a brushless motor and ESC for RC or quadcopter use, just size the motor right and use a servo tester hooked up to the ESC to control the speeds...

Just a thought...

4. Jon Curtis

Builder

Thank you very much for your replies.. I am looking into the servo motor idea now.. Then into the RC motor idea.. Both seem solid ideas.. I did some research and 1500 rpm should do the trick.. 2500 was a bit high of an estimate .. Trying to learn sketchup now and I will post my idea..

Thank you!!

J

5. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

Not sure if you found a suitable motor or not yet but I came across these brushless DC motors and wasn't sure if you knew about them. They look like they would work perfectly for what you would like.

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/nema23

Anyway let us know how your coming along..

Gerald