Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Adjusting belts

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by DiggerJ, Sep 25, 2014.

1. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

What method do you use to adjust belt tightness? I know they can be adjusted from the ends, an to some extent by raising the steppers, but I am wondering if you could just put the steppers up to the top for most belt contact and then adjust tension from the end, It would allow solid placement of the motors during build and keep the bolts from behind the wheels.

2. Paul Schoggin

Builder

Digger, I tried the "T" nut method for the belts, it did not work very well for me for two reasons. One as you tighten down on the belt it moves the belt to the right of the grove off center, also tightening the bolt down directly on the belt damages it and it breaks. Ask me how I know :( . Any way $50 in new belts later I came up with a solution. One end of the belt is crimped into a brass tube with slots cut into the side the belt teeth are on so it bites into the belt I set it in about 1.5" and could not pull it out after crimping. Continue to flatten another 1" or so of the brass tube and then bend 1/4" or so down so it holds on the end of the extrusion. Place a "T" nut and bolt on top of the brass tube (not the belt) so it holds it in place. On the other end I made a clamp out of 1/8" alum angle that bolts onto the end of the extrusion and another alum piece that bolt on the angle that clamps the belt. Then you can pull it tight and tighten the clamp without cutting into the belt. I know this is a poor description but I'll try to get pics and post here.

3. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks for the idea. Do you use the stepper motor adjustments or just bolt them down and adjust belts at the end of the track?

4. Paul Schoggin

Builder

At the end of the track.

5. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks, I am going to secure the stepper motors now, and adjust the belts from the V-slot ends.