Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Adding A Laser to My Shark HD5: Need Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by John-P, Apr 22, 2023.

1. John-P

John-P New
    Builder

I have a (New Wave) Shark HD5 that I like. I want to add a Laser Module. I think that CO2 is the best type. I also think that 40 or 50 Watts would be the minimum to nicely cut 5 to 10 mm plywood. That is the immediate plan and I want to know what modules are available to can be fitted to my HD5?

I also hear that thin glass (think 5mm colored glass such as used in leaded/stained glass) can be cut and that CO2 lasers are a good type. What I am very unclear on is the power level I would need for this use. That, in turn, begs the question of whether it would make sense to 'over-size' the CO2 laser module now to a power that would be adequate to cut stained glass as well or if I really should deal with that separately down the road? Sources, suggestions, alternatives all welcome. Thanks.

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

A CO2 laser is not something you can mount on your next wave. CO2 lasers use large glass tubes filled with gas and excited by very high voltage. They utilize mirrors and lenses to direct the beam path. Here is a link so you can see what they look like and see the additional power supply you would need if building a CO2 laser. Cloudray 20W-160W CO2 Laser Tube