Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Project Acro 55 build

Discussion in 'CNC Projects' started by vicsrc, Feb 7, 2018.

1. vicsrc

vicsrc New
    Builder

I just ordered a acro 55 and I am going to use it to route 1/4 inch plywood
    I am going to make a Z axis for the machine using parts that I have from another CNC router.
    I was wondering if the side plates from the OX router could be adapted to work on the Acro machine?
    And I am going to use the 1500mm rails on the sides.
    If anyone has any comments or direction I would gladly like to hear it.

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I think that if you want to use the ox side plates, and you want something that can handle the torque of a router/spindle, you should have built an ox. Your x gantry with an acro will sag with a spindle on it. It is only a single 2040 beam. Also, the y will most likely sag as well due to the increase in weight with a spindle and aluminum plates. The Acro was designed for light weight fast moving components that do not contact the material they are cutting or engraving. The nice thing about a belt driven ox is that it can move quick and be dual purposed for a laser cutter.

If you are buying the ox plates and additional wheels anyways, the increase in price would just be the larger extrusions and 3 Nema 23 motors vs 3 nema 17.