Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

A little tinyG and fan help....

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by motopreserve, Jul 29, 2015.

1. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

Hey folks. Getting ready to fire up the tinyG on he OpenBuilds plate machine for the initial communications testing.

Quick question. I have a 24v fan that has 3 wires (red, yellow, black). I am wondering if the signal wire (yellow) should be removed?

I tried to turn the board on once real quick and the fan did not spin with the signal wire attached. Is this normal if there is a signal wire connected (because it's not getting signal yet), or is this something I should just remove and it will fire the fan constantly?

Thanks.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Just to ask the obvious troubleshooting questions, are you using a 24V power supply and did you move the fan jumper to the +Vmot side?

3. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

Yes and yes. 24v power supply and the jumper is on the Vmot side.

Unfortunately I don't have another fan here to test on the board. Tomorrow I will try to rig something up to test it direct from the PS.

4. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

UPDATE: Just ran the positive and negative directly to the 24v power supply, and it spun up beautifully. Then I disconnected the yellow signal wire and tried it again on the tinyg J11 connector - no luck. I guess I can run this direct, which should be fine. Just curious why this wouldn't work - and if it's indicative of some other issue.