Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

90vdc spindle.

Discussion in 'CNC Lathes' started by mr68gts, Nov 28, 2017.

1. mr68gts

mr68gts New
    Builder

Noob with a question. I have a old Uminat 3 that I will be updating possibly with cnc but my issue is the spindle motor I picked up free (working I might add) is a 90vdc 2.2 amp 154 watt 6700 rpm motor. Can the Arduino run the 90v dc motor? And would it be possible to add the cnc parts to it at a latter date. Also if I use a 3 stepper board, do I have to run all 3? (I read you could burn up the board if you didnt)
    Thank You
    Paul M

2. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi Paul,
    It sounds like you'll need a separate power supply and a relay for the spindle. The arduino will switch the relay with low voltage to power the spindle on and off using the 90vdc supply.
    You do not have to use every driver on a 3 or 4 driver shield.
    hope this helps.
    Joe

3. mr68gts

mr68gts New
    Builder

Joe,
    Thank you for your reply, looks I know what to hunt for now!

4. CharlesMuh

Builder

Thanks for your reply....

No manual came with this system as usual but the website says it can be run by Mach3 system .... I figure that means analog 0-10vdc or could they be be referring to PWM connections.... there is PWM connections on this controller.

They say to remove the pot if you are controlling with a software system....

From what I can figure out it looks like Pin 1 is 5V output from the 48VDC power applied to this drive.... Probably an internal voltage regulator circuit... The next pin2 is the voltage back in from the pot depending on the position of the pot .... 3rd pin is common GND to complete the loop.

So with that said i am thinking to take the VOUT from the Acorn to pin 2 VR and the VCOM from Acorn to pin 3 GND .... Pin 1 i wont use at all.

I dont think Acorn can output PWM signals for spindle....

As far as the connections for encoder do you think i can Tap off the pins from the controller and feed the signals to Acorns DB9 port for spindle RPM readout?

Your thoughts appreciated...

Brian